Am I just being a paranoid new mom?

My son is now nine months old and he is pulling himself up, crawling everywhere and rolling over all the time. I lowered his crib so that he won't flip out of it but the bumper is beginning to concern me. He figured out how to pull it down so he can look out but now he's figured out how to untie it. Should I take it out since he can undo it or should I leave it in case he bumps his head?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 4:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take it out.

You're not a paranoid new mom... SEEMS you're a responsible, and sensible new mom.

I think a slight bump on the head from a roll over is better than possibly suffocating in somtehing he's untied and rolled onto.

Keep thinking like a good mommy, you're on the right path! Wish that all moms were as sensible as you! : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Take it out. My daughter used to step on it to climb out of her crib. They also recommend leaving it out for the first year because it's a suffocation and strangulation hazard. It's not worth the risk.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Take it out! Mine has been down for two months...My baby is 10 months
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 4:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Take it out! They say not even to buy them things anymore. They're a waste of money!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Take it out. If you listen to doctors/experts you should never have one in the first place because it can be a suffocation hazard. I always had one too, but I took it out once my daughter noticed it and became interested in it.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 4:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Take out the bumpers. They really are just for looks to make the baby's room cute. Babies are much safer without them in the crib. They pose a suffication hazard and they can later climb up them.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• If he can manipulate it that well, then it's best to take it out. There are breathable bumpers that secure better to the crib that you can use, but as far as the one you have it'd be best to remove it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Take it out. We never used one due to safety concerns

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2010