should I tell my 5yr old??

I just found out that I'm pregnant and was wondering should I tell my 5 year that I'm pregnant. She tried to jump on me and I told no don't she asked why and I wanted to tell her why she really wants a baby sister can't guarentee that's what the baby is but should I tell her I asked my sister in law she said no don't she won't understand wait till I can provide pictures. She didn't tell her 8 year old till she had picture proof for him. I'm kinda torn I wanted to tell her a second ago would it be okay to tell her or should I just wait till after I have proof pictures then tell her??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You could try to explain it to her. I know my son was 5 when I was pregnant with my daughter and he didn't understand at all. When I showed him teh picture and told him it was a girl he said NO I don't want another sister. Still didn't completely get it. When she was born then he got it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Sure tell her She needs to be included. It's silly not to.
    Anonymous

• I would tell her
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I would tell her. Waiting till you have ultrasound pictures is still no guarantee that she'll understand.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 4:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I told my 4 year old. He was excited....

If you want to help her understand.... I showed my son youtube of babies in the belly... and explained what he was seeing. He caught right on.

Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i told my dd that we are planning to have a baby. she is excited that im going to be carrying a baby in my belly. and i plan on telling her as soon as i know, and taking her to see the ultrasounds to see the pictures of him/her :)
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Tell her!! Especially if she wants a baby sister. She will probably be excited. I always though siblings should be the first to know (beside mommy and daddy). I told my 11 month old even though she has no idea what the heck I'm saying lol. I point to my belly and say brother and let her know there is another baby in mommys tummy. She obviously is too young to understand but it is the same thing I would do if she was your daughter's age. My nephew was 6 when I got pregnant with my daughter and he understood and was excited.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 4:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I would wait till 3 months. That's when the biggest risk for miscarriage is over. It's difficult explaining a miscarriage to a child that young.
    Anonymous

• I think it's really silly to not tell a 5 year old that they are going to be a big sister. My daughter was 3 when I got pregnant and we told her. She was 3 and understood there was a baby in my belly. She would read the baby books and sing to her. She knew I was going to have to go to the hospital so doctors could get the baby out. This is going to be a huge shock to your daughter if you do not tell her and explain slowly over the next 9 months what is going to happen.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• If you aren't ready to share the news with everyone she may come in contact with, then hold off until you are ready to spread the news.

If you have sever morning sickness, it is a good idea to tell her before she becomes worried that you are extremely ill.
    Anonymous