foods not to eat when breastfeeding

what are the foods that you should stay away from when breastfeeding? I have heard broccoli is one of them but what other foods can cause baby to be gassy??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only thing that I couldn't eat with her was jalepenos. she wouldn't come near the breast for 45 hours after I ate because she didn't like them. it's really trial and error as what makes you gassy may not effect her and vice versa
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Eat and drink AS YOU LIKE. Note *whether* baby reacts to a food, and only then eliminate that food. I could and did eat EVERYTHING including all the alleged "gassy" foods. My son never reacted to a single thing.

Eat and drink whatever you want. There are no foods to be avoided as a blanket statement. There are only YOUR CHILD's triggers...which may be none at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Eat normally. Only avoid foods that you notice trigger a reaction. Yes, sometimes certain foods upset certain babies, but there are also plenty of babies who are not affected at all by anything in mom's diet.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• cabbage. OJ, Tomato based anything. Anything acidic, anything spicy.
    Anonymous

• If they are super gassy babies, then broccoli, cabbage, and beans could make gas worse. My 1st baby did fine with broccoli and I ate a lot of it. My other 2 couldn't handle broccoli. My first two babies couldn't handle Mexican food but my third could. My other two did fine with dairy but my third didn't. It's just trial and error like Jademom07 said. If you eat something and the baby gets super fussy at the next feeding then try not eating that food again and see if it gets better.

Besides that don't drink and be careful not to eat too much mercury by limiting your fish to no more than 2 servings a week.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• "Besides that don't drink "

Slight correction on that. Mom CAN drink. One or two tops. No getting toasted. Well...you can get toasted, but then you can't nurse till you're sober. But generations of European women will tell you that one beer or glass of wine..even two...is FINE.

Safe to drive, safe to nurse.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• The same things you shouldn't eat/drink while pregnant. The same things you ingest go into your breast milk.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I can't have any tomato products. It makes my daughter spit up. That includes barbeque sauce. I've experimented with it over and over and it never fails, she will always spit up the next day. That means no pizza for me. :(
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I breastfed 3 children each over 2 years and could eat anything I wanted without problem.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I couldn't eat garlic for about 2 months. After my daughter was 2 months old she didn't get fussy when I ate garlic. She does get gassy, but it doesn't seem to bother her. So I pretty much eat whatever I want.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2010