how can I get rid of a pacifier from a 2 year old

I have a 2 year old daughter who is still taking a pacifier how do I get her off of it

CARAELLIOTT

Asked by CARAELLIOTT at 4:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take it a way cold turkey
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 4:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Take it away
    Anonymous

• I did the cold turkey thing, and now I I dealing with his withdrawals, he is so crabby ALL day long
    Anonymous

• You just take it. There is no easy out here. I had to wean to toddlers from the paci. You take it and never give in. Throw them all away. Try your best to enterain him and distract him to minimize his trauma. Some babies get really addicted to the paci, mine did, and it will just be a rough week for you.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Take it away, plain and simple.
    Anonymous

• My friend took her daughter's away by telling her that very little babies somewhere didn't have any. She asked her daughter if she wanted to mail hers away to the poor sad babies and she was all for it. The put them in a large envelope and her daughter put them in the mail box. They mailed them to Grandma who then disposed of them.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Throw them away. Don't be her enabler by giving her her pacifier. Just throw them out.
    She'll throw a fit, but she'll get over it in a couple of days.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I gradually started taking it away from my son when he was about 15 months old. He was only able to have it in his crib. I finally took it away completely when he was about 2 1/2. I waited a bit longer than I wanted because I have a 1 year old daughter. I simply took it away one night. He fussed a couple of nights, but overall I was very proud of him. We took him to Build-A-Bear the next day as a reward. He made his own bear, he now sleeps with him. That distracted him from the binky.
    Hope this helps a bit.

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• a couple of weeks ago we had our 2 yo's have theirs only at bedtime and naptime. in a while we will go to a park that has a paci tree, where kids giving up their paci's tie them to a tree for the paci fairy. we didn't have any problems with no paci during the day.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2010