What do you think of throwing a party for your older child when a new baby is born?

I keep hearing about parents throwing a party for their older child when they have a baby, even having family and friends give the child gifts. My son will be 2.5 when our baby is born and I definitely plan to recognize that this is an adjustment for him and have certain ideas in mind to get him adjusted but I feel a party and presents is a bit much. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• nah, just keep them involved in stuff
    Anonymous

• I never heard of doing that.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• iv never heard of that. i plan on getting my daughter a special gift from the baby, and she is going to pick out a gift for the baby as well.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 5:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Do whatever it is that you & your husband want to do. It's your family & it should be your choice.
    Anonymous

• Op here: I like the idea of letting my son give a gift to the baby, thanks!
    Anonymous

• I won't be throwing a party, but my son (due in July) will be giving his older sister a present. I plan on buying a nice present for her and when she sees him the first time giving it to her and saying it is from her new baby brother.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I have a friend who did that....then the kid demanded a gift or toy or something EVERY time the younger sib. got anything. really bit her in the butt.

we had the baby give a gift to big sister(s). and everyone did give the big sisters a little something when babies were born but nothing huge and a big deal was not made
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I never heard of a party, but....if it is just a few close family members I don't think it would be bad. The older kid can feel lost in the shuffle if all of a sudden he is sort of ignored. Maybe I am biased because I was the oldest child...lol!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 6:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Sorry but that idea just sounds crazy to me! We got our son (he was 2 years 6 months when our daughter was born) a present to give to his sister at the hospital as well as a present for his sister to give him. It worked out just fine
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2010