Im pulling my hair out PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ihave a 3 and a half yr old. He is 3'4 tall and is 68 lbs. He is naturally a big kid he was even born 11lbs 3 onc. But the problem im having with him is a few. One he EATS way to much i take it away from him and i make him eat only 3 times a day. and snack. But he throws fits and makes me feel like im terrible mother it hurts. He wont eat what im giving him but im scared his weight is getting bigger. Two when i say no he dont care and i scold him I have tried everythin i have spanked i have yelled i have punished in the corner i have taken things away i even tried docs but nothing. Now im a very stern woman and i think he gets it from me. Like i can push him in the cart at the store and i dont care if he screams for sumthing if i say no its no. But it doesnt mean its not killing me in the inside. Three OMG HE WONT POTTY!!!!!!!!!! He doesnt have a problem peeing in the toliet. He just wont poop. WE TRIED EVERYTHING IM SO LOST!!

Wisdom818

Asked by Wisdom818 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• can't help you with the potty thing but with his excessive eating, have they checked him for diabetes or even hypoglycemia? that could make him want to eat more often & make him cranky also larger babies are more succeptable to hypoglycemia...that being said, if he is okay then just offer him healthy snacks throughout the day, and give him certian amounts don't buy junkfood that way it will not be in the house GL
    Anonymous

• I have gotten him checked but they say he is just a growing boy but i know a fine line. The only thing he has is seperation anxiety his dad left us 2 times and then he moved a few states away. im so worried about the food thing. I do give him healtyh stuff all the time. But he eats then 10 mins later he wants more. i make him go on 3 mile walks with me everyday he loves to ride his bike the whole way with me. He is very clingy and loves affection and i give to him. but im getting worn out. im so scred im parenting wrong im only 22 and im just scared i have rea evrything i dont knopw what to do anymore. I love my son so much and i want him happy. Im worried my sterness is hurting him emotionally
    Wisdom818

Answer by Wisdom818 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• ok about the eating i can see where that would be a problem, bc my 5 year old is chubby and she is only 55 lbs. but again u are the mother, and he cant get his own food. you have to buy and give him everything. its ok for him to snack, but i would give him unappealing snacks like raw veggies with dip, or maybe just a peanut butter sandwich, but nothing sweet. either he is very hungry (then he will eat the veggies anyway) or he will throw a bigger fit (meaning hes not hungry he just wants sweets) but what he eats us ultimately up to you, my kid and throw all the fits they want but im not budging. and tell him just to go throw his fit in his room!
    Anonymous

• I would make sure that you are being the role model. I would clear the house of any and all junk food and if he is truly hungry, he will eat what you give him. Make sure you are feeding him whole grains (not just whole wheat) which will keep him fuller longer instead of just turning into sugar (which is what white bread, pasta, rice, etc. do)
    Make a schedule. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Snack should consist of something like celery sticks which are almost absent in calories.
    Also, it is important to remember that at that age, too many changes can cause rebellion and uncooperative kids. Stick to one at a time, dont do major diet changes while you potty training and so on. Pick the one most important to you and go full throttle. start the other once you have that conquered.
    Completely ELIMINATE sugary drinks/junk food. Like PP said, if he is hungry, he will eat what you give him!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:28 AM on Mar. 19, 2010