Are pap smears safe during pregnancy? If not, why?

I had a pap smear done when I was almost 21 weeks, I got a call about 2 weeks later telling me it came back abnormal with possible cancerous cells and I need to get it checked out again. I have been told by several friends that pap smears are not safe during pregnancy and this can cause preterm labor. Why would they do a pap if it is not safe??

tiffanyjt22

Asked by tiffanyjt22 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• LOL, sorry to laugh but I have NEVER heard of them being unsafe. I had one just a few weeks ago when I found out I was pregnant.
    Had quite a few of them with my daughter too.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i think its one of those things where in RARE cases it can cause you to have some cramping, like w any pelvic exam. i think its pretty routine to have at least one pap during pregnacy, usually at the very beginning. i have had one w each of my pregnancies. all in all, its much better in your case that you did have one. better to find out sooner rather than later if there is something that needs to be taken care of. good luck to you and i hope the cells are not cancerous!
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 5:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• From my understanding they are necessary during pregnancy- to make sure you don't have any nasty things going on that can hurt your baby. I had bacterial vaginosis and they wouldn't have found out without a pap smear. All women have them done, and it can't cause preterm labor. Sex is more likely to do that! (Semen contains proteins that encourage labor)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I had one when i found out I was preg..
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 5:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• When you're pregnant, I was told that unless you had a pap within the last month or so before finding out about being pregnant, you were going to get one. They do it to check for STDs and to check your cervix so that anything harmful to your baby could be IDed.
    Anonymous

• yes they are safe. I had one done early in my second trimester
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I have been pregnant 3 times and have had paps during my first two pregnancies. The only reason I did not get one during my 3rd pregnancy is because I had one the day before my LMP so they considered it to still be accurate. But my OB offices here do them at your first pre-natal appt
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• The only "risk" is cramping. They insert a brush into the os of the cervix (the opening), and run a wand around the outside of the cervix. Stimulating the cervix can cause cramping, but generally, that cramping is benign. Basically, every pregnant woman who has received medical care during her pregnancy has had a pap. They can even do a colposcopy (where they go in and take samples from your cervix of anything that looks abnormal) during pregnancy, which is what they do to confirm a diagnosis. I hope everything turns out okay!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I was told that it had a higher chance of being inaccurate after the first trimester. I am not sure if it's true, but I would definitely find out.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2010