My one month old daughters sleeping...

She sleeps for maybe 10 mins then will wake up agian. Yesterday she woke up at 1pm and didnt go to sleep till 11pm. Is this normal? She is a month old. She use to sleep 3 to 4 hours at a time now its down to 2 to and hour and a half sometimes.

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you breastfeeding? Mine did that when she was that age and it turned out she wasn't getting enough milk and was hungry all the time.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i pump so yes i breastfeed she eats 4oz at each feeding. but only get out 2 oz at one time
    mommy2be77

Answer by mommy2be77 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My son was that way for a while he was ebf. Babies have very weird sleep schedules.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 5:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Pumping and feeding bottles is not breastfeeding. You have to feed at the breast for it to be breastfeeding. What you are doing is called human milk feeding. If you only get 2 oz and are feeding 4 oz then are you giving 2 oz formula? Then your baby is getting formula and some breastmilk. If you want to breastfeed then you need to feed at the breast to get a good supply.

Mothers are warned not to give bottles of human milk or formula or to give pacifiers in the first 6-8 weeks because it will mess up breastfeeding. It will cause problems with everything including sleep. During this time your breasts need the stimulation of the baby actually breastfeeding to grow additional milk glands and ducts so that you can make enough milk for your baby. A pump does not make the same stimulation.

It's not too late to breastfeed your baby at your breast. It may be a little more difficult now.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Gailll...better milk in a bottle than none at all.

OP...your baby is quite normal. Sleep patterns will change frequently all through year one. You're only guaranteed never to get more than three hours in a row...ever. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 8:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Awake for 10 hours? Did she show any signs of getting tired? Yawning? Slower movements? Droopy eyes? When you see those signs in your baby, start soothing her to sleep whether it's putting her in a swing, rocking her, etc. By staying awake that long, she's going to get overtired, which means you're going to have one extra-cranky baby on your hands. Also you may just have to hold her while she sleeps for now. My daughter is 6 weeks, and if I put her down during the day, she won't sleep for long. If I hold her, she'll sleep for 3-4 hours. At night, she does great in her crib. I've found that if I put her on her boppy on her side, she sleeps great. So if I really need to get something done, I'll put the boppy on the floor near me. I've also been told to invest in a sling. Also, keep in mind that babies between 4-6 weeks of age are starting to become more aware of their surroundings. Your baby may just be too cont
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Your baby may just be too nosy to sleep. :) My son was like that, and it drove me nuts! He wanted to see everything. The only way I could get him to nap during the day to avoid him getting overtired was to put him in his swing and turn the vacuum cleaner on. I had one very clean patch of carpet in my apartment!
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2010