My daughter has severe acid reflux and has been put on this formula called Nutramigen

Has anyone used this or heard of it? My daughter hates it and gags because it is so bitter. It is for milk allergies, and she also has acid reflux. Yes-she is on a pill from the Dr.,and we keep her upright after feeding and tilted while she sleeps, the reflux is already so much better but she is eating less...I know she doesn't like the formula, it is extremely bitter. Is there anything I can possibly do to sweeten it that will not be harmful to her?

If your answer is to tell me to breastfeed (I cannot so this is not an option) or lecture me in any way, please move on...I can't stand that. I need kind avice from real mothers who have experienced a similar situation. Thanks! :)

flowermom76

Asked by flowermom76 at 6:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hope you find something that works. My daughter had reflux so bad she needed surgery. Good Luck Momma
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 6:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Can you pay for this formula? You may have to sell everything you own. I have helped many women that thought they would never breastfeed relactate when they couldn't afford to pay for Nutramigen.

There are very few women that can't breastfeed. As long as you have one nipple, aren't on chemo, aren't taking radioactive drugs, you can pretty much breastfeed. Virtually all women in the world can breastfeed. The women in Haiti are breastfeeding and their babies are doing well. The women in war torn Afganastan are breastfeeding.

I breastfed with cancer, taking over 15 meds at a time, while I was hospitalized, while I got IVs in a outpatient infusion suite, throught all kinds of medical crisis of my own and my children's.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• We used Nutramigen for our son's protein intolerance.Maybe a pinch of sugar will do the trick. If it gets her to eat,isn't that more important? By the way,forgot to add,my son drank it with no problem. Just try to tough it out and hopefully you can change up to a different one in a few months.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Yes-we can afford the formula. I am very glad you can breastfeed but I specifically asked for no RUDE comments or comments on breastfeeding you rude woman, get off your soapbox and lead a more productive, less judgmental life. I feel sorry for you. By the way-I am reporting you. haha

My child cannot breastfeed due to the size of her tongue according to the lactating nurse, who has been in practice over 20 years. I am sure she knows more then you. Wait, I am sure a lot of people know more then you since apparently your opinions are set that you know everything.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Thank you Bloobird and TMJ for the comments about the actual subject in which I was referring to :)
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I haven't personally but my niece has a SEVER milk allergy, she even reacted to my sister's milk. Yes, we ALL know that breast is best, but seriously this woman has a sincere problem so please don't badger her about nursing ESPECIALLY after she specifically asked that people avoid the topic. RUDE.

Anyway, my sister had to put Chey on Nutramigen but her insurance covered it (at the time it was prescription don't know if it still is?) I don't recall Chey having any issues with the taste of it, but she also had GERD and some other issues going on so she fussed and projectile vomited nonstop the first year of her life anyway. I'm not sure if there would be any safe way to sweeten it, I would ask your ped about that. I really hope things get better for you, I remember those days when Chey was little it was NOT fun and I didn't even have to live with her.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 6:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My daughter was on it and it worked wonders.. My son was on it and still was allergic to it. There is still milk in the formula but it is clamed to be very digestable. My son was the baby that could throwup acrossed the room and now he is on elecare (a amino acid based formula epensive $30 to $35 a can and has to be order not sold in the stores) with this formula some insureces will pay for it cause it is condidered medical food and is on prevacid ( zantac didn't work. Good luck!!!
    trachmom312

Answer by trachmom312 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• THANKS! :) My little one is on Prevacid too. Insurance does not cover our formula unfortunately. I wll keep this other one in mind if my current one does not work.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• "My child cannot breastfeed due to the size of her tongue according to the lactating nurse, who has been in practice over 20 years. I am sure she knows more then you."

Hm. That's a new one on mealthough I've only been counseling breastfeeding moms a decade. They haven't told you to take any special feeding precautions because of her tongue?

If the lactation nurse ISN'T an IBCLC, please do have doubts about what you're told because most hospital LCs get about an hour of training and are turned loose on unsuspecting moms.

In the meantime...Zantac works WONDERS. There's nothing you can do about the taste of the formula. It is what it is. But infants can be given Zantac and it will make a huge difference. If the ped hasn't suggested it, find another ped.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i used it for a little while since the soy my son was on was binding him up but he couldnt drink it either and we ended up back on soy and he's fine on it now i dont really know how you could sweeten it maybe mix a little apple juice in like replace an oz of water with apple juice but that could bother the acid reflux besides that im out of ideas...GL and shut up gailll your annoying if she doesnt want to bf get over it, it's none of your concern just dont answer these questions if all your going to say is bf
    Anonymous