What to do about biting

My daughter is 13 months. She bites a lot, and it really hurts. At first I thought she was teething, but this has gone on for months, and when she bites it's with her teeth, it's not like she's trying to get me to massage her gums cause they hurt.

My husband and I don't want to spank her yet because we feel that she is too young. We would like to try time outs, but so far she doesn't realize that a time out is punishment, she'll just sit there and play with her toes, or whatever. I feel like she's not going to learn much that way.

Any advice?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 6:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't bite her back! Toddlers learn from mimicking adults, and all you're doing is teaching her it's ok if you bite her back. My son is 16 months and he bites and hits when he's tired. We put him in time out and explain to him that biting isn't nice at all and we don't do that. Then we just distract him. He gets the message pretty quickly! All it takes is persistence and patience. And whatever you do, don't laugh! My son has smacked himself in the head before, and I laughed cause it caught me off guard, and he kept doing it the rest of the night, making sure he had my attention first. They pick up on EVERYTHING we do! Good luck!
    AndrewNChristy

Answer by AndrewNChristy at 7:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• bite her back, not too hard but just to show it hurts... thats what my mom did to me and my brother and we never bit again
    Anonymous

• I tell my kids to bite themselves. That way they are doing it to themselves and it hurts, they won't do it again and can't blame mommy.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Bite her back. Great solution! It is the worst thing you could and I would like to say very bad things about that person ...

Avoid, respond, change the situation, but DON"T say no, stop, or mini-lecture. Respond means when she bites jump or pull away in an amount that is equal to the bite and move or get up or whatever to put a distance between you and her. Avoid saying no, stop, or trying to give mini-lectures.

Change the situation after would be to not hold her if you had been holding her when it happened. Not a punishment but it may be something she doesn't like.

The reason you don't want to say no, stop, or give mini-lectures is that they haven't been working and they aren't going to work so you want to quit doing that and save that for when she is older.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My Aunt always used the bite back it worked for her kids, my bro., and mine. Don't bite hard just so they feel it ir's more ascare tactic than any thing.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• DD was doing the same thing at 13 mos, she bit me so hard on my tricep it left a bruise that covered the back of my arm! I bit her back.... and now at 2, she's never attempted it since! I didn't bite hard, never left teeth marks and barely a red spot. I just grabbed her skin with my teeth and held on for a couple seconds and she started bawling! Then I told her it wasn't ok to bite and she's NEVER done it since!!! If a kid so much as tries to bite dd she screams "stop it! It hurts!" and gets me. My friends had trouble with this and the only solution they found was biting back to prove it hurts! DD is 2 and barely understands the concept of a time out, she thinks it's a game still and learns through experience. If we dont' want her doing something, we show her why instead of explaining or ignoring.
    Anonymous

• you all know that bitting your child is child abuse....

i'm a mom of a 16 month old boy that is a bitter and i was looking to get help too but all i see are parent that are okaying child abuse by bitting their child. if i would see someone bitting their child i would call cps. i own my own child care center and that is the crazyest thing i have ever heard. I'm not one of the crazy people that don't believe in spanking or the word "no". I spank my son. i am shocked right now at these mothers. bitting your child your baby?!?!?

Im trying to work with my son on bitting and i give him a burp rag and tell him to bit it not people.
    Kyle_wify

Answer by Kyle_wify at 10:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2010