breastfeeding question.

when you stop bf and go to formula will your milk stop producing?. i bf for the first week and a half then have been pumping till now 4weeks, it takes me 2 hours to get 4 oz. today my daughter ate 5oz of formula.

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why not put her back on the breast?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i cant go back to breast i was bleeding and my skin was peeling
    mommy2be77

Answer by mommy2be77 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• also she will keep sucking my breast but not swallow like nothing is coming out
    mommy2be77

• Babies are born knowing how to breastfeed. Otherwise the human race would have died out. A mother can't tell if anything is coming out. You aren't supposed to be able to feel it.

Pumps are very hard on nipples and they can cause nipple damage. Pumping is nothing like breastfeeding. I may only be able to pump 4 oz a day but be able to breastfeed plump twins and have milk left over.

Once you are only breastfeeding there is no reason to believe you will have sore nipples and will be bleeding and peeling. Soe nipples heal very quickly, in days. You could be back breastfeeding your baby in a very short time and go on to breastfeed a year or two. I think you should give it a try.

To answer your question, it may take days, weeks, or years for your milk to go all the way away. It may be very uncomfortable and there is the possibility of infection. Some women say they have milk 2 or 3 years later.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Sorry to have the person who is the breastfeeding nazi answer your question. Unlike her saying 2 -3 years in reality it is alot less. I breastfed both children for 2 - 3 months before I stop producing enough :( I dried up completely with in a few months. My GF jsut stopped breastfeed and she is already noticing a HUGE difference. She too is drying up fairly quickly. Oh and I too got sore cracked nipples oh and NEVER pumped.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Ok, so I RAN OUT and quit producing after 11weeks. DS was hungry for 4 days straight before I gave him any formula, and only because my doctor recommended it. Almost 6 months AFTER DS was put on formula, I felt leakage... and I still leak, and he's 11mos. Ugh.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Sore, cracked nipples happen... and then they heal. It doesn't last forever.

Go to an LLL meeting or call an IBCLC and get your latch evaluated because that's the most common reason for it... but sometimes you just have to push through the first few weeks until it gets better.

Pumping doesn't get as much milk as a baby will... but 4 oz in 2 hours is really twice what you need (and higher than average output). Breastfed babies take about 25 oz over a 24 hour period, on average (over all of year one... they don't increase except for growth spurts and then their intake goes back down)... so if you're able to pump 4 oz every 2 hours, you're way ahead of the game. Babies will overeat from bottles, so you just have to make sure she's eating from hunger, get really slow flow nipples and burp frequently. Chances are you'll dry up sooner, rather than later with pumping anyway.

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• If you put her to the breast and don't hear swallowing right away... that's normal. Most babies only really swallow at letdown. If she's not swallowing at all... it goes back to the bad latch thing, she may not be latched correctly to get anything out. Again, call a professional.

It can take years to dry up fully... but if you just continue pumping you will probably mostly dry up by 6 months or so. If you actively wean from the pump, you can probably dry up mostly in 2-3 months... again, it can take years to fully dry up.

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Hearing swallowing really means nothing. I never heard ONE swallow in 26 months of breastfeeding. And a good thing because the sound of swallowing makes me BATTY. I hate it.

The problems you report are VERY beatable. VERY.

Milk can be there for a year or more after weaning. Most women DON'T dry up quickly without the help of hormonal birth control.

Mrs.Owen...I may not always agree with Gailll...but calling her names is NOT helpful. And besides, It's Militant Breastfeeding Cult. Please make a note of it. Breastfeeding Nazi is SO 20th century.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• When I was stopping BF I would pump until I couldn't get any more (about 30 minutes) and that was it. If you are only getting a few oz in 2hours, try pumping for less time. I did have a few days of engorgement (uncomfortable) and would pump only 2-3 times a day to relieve the discomfort. My milk was gone within a month. NOT years. I did not go on any type of hormonal birth control- I was on the IUD, however... I don't know if this affected my milk production (I doubt it would).
    Try not to let other women make you feel bad about your decision to formula feed. As a new mother, be confident with your decision. Know that you are making a personal decision and are doing what you feel is best for you and your family.
    Anonymous