Can I give bottled water to a one month old?

I have a one month old which is sick. (pooping alot) Can I give him bottled water once in a while?

Karisma_Thomas

Asked by Karisma_Thomas at 7:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, I wouldn't. breastmilk or formula should be all babies get until 6 months. Sick or not.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• No
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Since the beginning of time, mommas have been giving their newborns water - of all kinds (tap, warm tea, bottled, well, etc). However, from my research - water is not advised for newborns. If memory serves me correctly, your baby should be at least 3 months old before introduced to water.

I think you should give the baby Pedialyte to ensure he/she doesn't become dehydrated though...
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• No. If the baby is formula fed it may be an emergency situation and you should call your baby's doctor or go to an urgent care center or ER. A one month old can loose a lot of fluids very quickly.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Not unless there is a medical reason. Something about water before 5-6 months old is hard on the kidneys, messes up the electrolyte balance.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• WTH are you talking about emergency situation?
    Just because a child is formula fed it does not make it an ER emergency when they get sick.. Hello kids get sick!
    Oh and breast fed babies can become dehydrated too.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• ask your doc...I did only when she had the hiccups and it was a very very tiny bit....since your child is sick alot of docs say about pedialite (sp?) but since your baby is so young I would ask them first....but if your baby has the hiccups or is really fussy try something called gripe water, yes gripe water. It is usually only available at a health food store. I used that for my daughter and it worked great....I wish I would have known about it sooner....if you give your baby water just let them have a sip or so..nothing more....but make sure that its warm....good luck!
    Anonymous

• Yea mrsowens my breastfed baby has been dehydrated plenty of times in emergency situations when he is sick he refuses to nurse but I have given him plain pedialyte. Water itself will not replace electrolytes so it really is useless.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Oh no not you ! Sorry it was directed to gailll

. "If the baby is formula fed it may be an emergency situation"
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I know I was just trying to prove a point that any baby can get dehydrated and sick and sometimes need to be rushed to the er. People assume that a breastfed baby cannot get dehydrated but when my baby is sick and weak he doesn't want to do the work that is involved in nursing he completely refuses so i pump and bottle feed and use pedialyte at times when he couldn't keep the milk down. My son was born with a health problem though and I have been through this 3 times.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2010