SHould children of politicians be allowed to be used in political attack ads?

In southern Ohio, opponents of the bill have created a blowback effect by airing an ad targeting Rep. Steve Driehaus to stand firm as a "no" vote on the legislation. The ad prominently featured the congressman’s young daughters, in violation of the unwritten law that forbids dragging lawmakers' family members – most especially their underage children – into the fray.

Once Driehaus took note of the ad, and told a reporter from the Cincinnati Enquirer that its content was “outrageous,” the group trying to stymie the bill, the Washington-based Committee to Rethink Reform, issued an apology.

"Politicians' children should not be involved in public political debates and we deeply regret this mistake," it said. A spokeswoman said the group had also offered a direct apology to Driehaus.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1281

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Kids should be off limits no matter what.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• No, I feel a politician's children should be off limits. Just like I feel a celebrity's children should be off limits.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I just read that, I think it is mean and wrong to ever use someones child in away to push something. ANYTHING.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Of course it's wrong, but that never stops anyone when it's convenient (cough...Palin's kids...cough)
    Anonymous

• Someone would be spitting out teeth if they put my child in a political attack ad..or any other kind of ad without my consent!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Yeah...apparently libs thought it was hysterical when Palin's youngest son was attacked REPEATEDLY, and then so were her daughters!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Kids should be off limits, no exceptions. And Palin's kids were attacked, for months after the election....they still are from time to time.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

I dont know any! What political ads were shown using her kids? Letterman is not a politician

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• No and thats why they had to apologize. There is an unspoken rule that you don't use the kids. The guy had a right to be pissed.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Palin's kids are not attacked with ads.

Psst, she's not running for office now, either. 2 years ago, on the other hand...
    If it didn't happen, why did your president make this statement to the media in the middle of the campaign:
    "I have heard some of the news on this and so let me be as clear as possible. I have said before and I will repeat again, I think people's families are off limits, and people's children are especially off limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics, it has no relevance to governor Palin's performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. And so I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories. You know my mother had me when she was 18. And how family deals with issues and teenage children that shouldn't be the topic of our politics and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that is off limits."
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2010