How can I get my son to fall back to sleep in his crib?

My son is 9 months old and has had both bottom teeth for 4 months and is cutting all 4 on top now. Only one front one has actually broken thru and the other 3 are red and swollen and just about ready. He used to sleep thru the night now he wakes up 4 hours after bedtime crying. Some times we can get him back to sleep and other times he wants nothing but to be picked up. It is tough - the only way we can sleep is to get him. I have had him sleeping with us for the past few nights because the closeness is comforting for him and he sleeps for hours. Am I creating a 'monster' who will never sleep on his own or will these days pass with the teeth cutting and we can get back to regular sleep routines. HELP!!

lisaac72

Asked by lisaac72 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i had the same problem... just keep picking him up when he is like that and if you want sleep with him if he will actually sleep... it will go back to normal... i promise:)
    Anonymous

• if you keep putting him in your bed you will be on this site in 4 years complaining he is hogging the bed
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 8:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• that is my concern awelling... I think i should just keep putting him back in the crib and make extra strong coffee in the morning! this too shall pass.....
    lisaac72

Answer by lisaac72 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Be careful holding him that you don't fall asleep. It is dangerous for you to be in a chair or on a couch with your baby if you might fall asleep. Co-sleeping isn't really recommended unless you are breastfeeding. You haven't created a monster, you have put yourself in a bind. What's normal is to be breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Your child is not a monster. You have failed to do what is normal and now you and your baby are paying the consequences.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• what does breastfeeding have to do with anything? so if you breastfeed you can't roll over and smother your baby to death?
    Anonymous

• LOL!! I love the coffee idea! FYI I have a 4 year old bed hogger, I wish I would have put him back and made the coffee!
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 9:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I don't think you're creating a monster. He's hurting right now and just wants some snuggle time. I promise he won't be in bed when he's in high school :) this too shall pass. My 3y/o NEVER slept in bed with us. He was in a bassinet at the foot of our bed for 8 weeks then in his room, in his bed... until 2 months ago! Now he comes into our room 4-5 times a week around 3am. He's cutting 2 molars, so I figure he just needs the comfort.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• You aren't creating a monster. I don't know why the consensus in the US is that children should sleep alone and like it.

I don't know if you've ever had braces OP, but I have. The pain in your head when you lie down at night is indescribable. The soreness of the jaw, the ache in your teeth, and the throbbing. It's no picnic. That orajecl crap just burns and numbs your tongue but doesn't even touch where the ache is. I'm 36 and I remember the pain! Heck, I remember when my 12 year molars came in!

So, he's in a lot of pain and the comfort of you is more soothing than anything else. He'll sleep on his own again. He's still a baby though! I know people are all gung ho about sleep routine, but the first five years scoff at routine. If they don't need night comforting now they'll need it at some point, yes?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2010