How can I break my 2 1/2 year old daughter of her pacifier?

She only uses it at nap time and when she goes to bed for the night.

Jrilo

Asked by Jrilo at 8:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used the pacifier fairy who took it away.... sounds silly but it worked.
    TurksMommy

Answer by TurksMommy at 8:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• tell her another baby needs it
    ARRI23

Answer by ARRI23 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I took my daughters away one night and she really didnt even really ask for it the next day so I just never gave it back to her. That seemed to work for us. It probably wont be as hard as u think. I thought she would really throw a fit about it but she did great.
    JessW21

Answer by JessW21 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Ds liked Elmo so I told him elmo took it to Seseame Street to give to another baby, because he had become such a big boy! He was upset at first but cheered up once Elmo came on Tv. Good luck mommy.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 8:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Just take it away. Try and replace it with a blanket of some sort, but cold turkey works the best. Be sure you have all of them gone when you do it. It will involve a few nights of crying, but if you can tough it out, it will be over with.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I cut a slit in the end of all my sons pacis. This way there is no suction. My son still has them around at bed time- He puts them in his mouth for a few seconds and then throws them on the floor. Since we have done the cutting, he has begun to suck on the collars of his shirt- I think he just has an oral fixation.
    Anonymous

• Why? Let her have it until she outgrows the need.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• i just took them away first couple nights sucked, but soon he forgot. worked well for us.

and u dont want her to use it to long it can cause dental problems..overbites and so on
    Anonymous

• I just took my DD's away. It was harder on me than on her. And I think I was expecting it to be so horrible, that it really wasn't that bad at all! She cried, but only for a couple nights! She'll be okay. You just have to be stonger than you think you are! You can do it!!!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I'm letting my DD keep hers til she's ready to give them up. We'll take it from her in the morning, but put it on the dining table so she can reach it if she needs it. More often than not, she'll forget about it til naptime.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 11:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2010