why does she keeping taking a step back?

my 2 year old daughter was doing really well in potty training.But now I can't figure out why she doesn't use the potty anymore.She will go poop in the potty but pee is a totally different story.It just started where now when she is in her room she will pee on the floor ad cover it up with clothes then she will dig in her dresser and put on a pull up, which i will take away and put her back in panties, i only let her use pull ups at night.She is also peeing all over the couch and trying to hide it.My mother said that she is ashamed of it thats why she tries to hide it and maybe she is scared of the bathroom but she goes in there to poop and bathe.Is there any way i can get her to stop peeing everywhere? what is a good cleaner to get the pee smell out of everything that isn't strong(she has eczema at the moment)?could it be a phobia maybe?anyone else ever had this problem?

kittie2008

Asked by kittie2008 at 8:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds like she's hiding it because you have made it "bad" to not use the potty.
    Similar to if you are working with numbers or the alphabet and just calling her stupid for getting it wrong.

Anonymous

• It sounds like she's not going on the potty because she's busy or doesn't know she needs to go in time. She's covering it up so that she won't get in trouble. Has the been disciplined for wetting before? Something gives her the idea that she's either going to get into trouble or should be ashamed.

You need to be taking her to the potty frequently until she learns to read her body's signals better. I think with a bowel movement it may be more noticeable to her that she needs to go.
    Anonymous

• my dd used to do that. so now, i either ask her if she has to pee, or i tell her to go pee if she hasnt been in a while. sometimes she will be doing something, and be like "oh, i gotta pee" and then run to the bathroom.
    you should discipline if she is trying to hide it. just tell her, its ok that you have accidents, but it is NOT ok to hide it from me. thats rather disgusting, and let her know it should be cleaned up.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Steps back are VERY COMMON in potty training. I don't think the hiding it thing necessarily means you have shamed her, but it can simply mean she knows she peed where she's not supposed to. Getting out her own pull-up to pee in it also probably means that she understands what you are asking her to do. Here's my advice. Take a few days and put everything else aside. Housework, out-of-house activities, no internet or tv for you... keep your distractions to a minimum. Put her in underwear and a shirt, but nothing else. And then watch her. I know she may be out of your sight for a minute or two, but TRY to watch her the whole day. If she starts to have an accident, move her to the potty while she's still having the accident, reminding her calmly, but firmly, that pee goes in the potty. Over and over again. Praise and possibly small reward if some pee makes it in. She'll get it. Put the pull-ups out of reach!!!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:48 AM on Mar. 19, 2010