Do your hips hurt after you run?

I love to run, I shed 60 lbs. after my 2nd pregnancy from jogging and I was jogging 5 miles a day (It took a year to work up to this though) and now I am trying to jog off the weight from my last baby. I have lost 38 lbs. and have 40 to go (Yes-I get fat while pregnant! :) The problem is-this time it is killing me in the hip/glutious area. I am only doing 3 1/2 miles now and walking for part of that. Could I just be getting old? I am 34. Should I quit jogging and do something else or will the pain subside?

flowermom76

Asked by flowermom76 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I would maybe see a chiropractor, that may ease some of the pain.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• good idea! duh-why didn't I think of that? lol
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• time to invest in some new running shoes hun!

I LOVE running, and I was having horrible hip pain & even shin splints. It was suggested that I try new shoes that had better arch support, and use a heel cup. As it turned out, I needed to be properly aligned, which I wasn't, and it was causing excess stress.

No, you don't need a new exercise routine, your body may be a little tired from pregnancy/birth though. I dislocated my pelvic joint with this last one, and didn't even know it! that was causing pain too, now it's been out for so long that it just is what it is. Do a little research about running, there are some interesting new clinical studies, one of them took almost 30 years, and proved that running does NOT have a negative impact on joints, but actually helps facilitate the restructuring of cartilage! Was totally cool- If I can find it I'll pass it on, or just Google.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Thanks! So nice to hear from people who aren't stupid. haha Yep-love to run. I wear Brooks Glycerin and I did get fitted for them (I have a high arch) but I think I need special insoles. My husband has some for his feet from the Dr. but they were like $500 yikes. I like the chiropractor idea a lot though-running probably isn't putting stress on my joints but I bet my 9 lb. baby did :) I had a C section too so I think I am still healing a bit.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• It's definitely the shoes. Definitely get fitted for new shoes. I know it's a long shot, but insurance might cover part of the cost for special inserts.
    Anonymous

• it also may be your muscles around your hip like your flexors, you need to do some it flexor streches before you run!
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• can you see a podiatrist? as soon as I got my feet looked at and then fixed I can do anything! but a chiropractor will do wonders to help the pain right now.

WHEN were you fitted for the shoes? our feet change as do our bodies especially after baby - I'm pretty sure its the shoes.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Usually it is best that you talk with your doctor before engaging into any kind of activities, i usually do this especially i gave birth through Cesarean. Better you go and see your doctor and discuss this because what you are doing is actually advisable but important with doctor's supervision. DePuy Pinnacle Recall

pinnaclelawsuit

Answer by pinnaclelawsuit at 10:44 AM on Mar. 16, 2012