Need Breastfeeding support please!!

I am on week 3 of breastfeeding. Yesterday my daughter was on almost continually for 13 hours. She would fall asleep and would begin crying as soon as I laid her down. I talked to a LLL consultant today and that helped a bit.
Please share your stories of difficulties you had during the beginning and tips to get through the next few weeks. I will greatly appreciate it!! Thank you!
Also, any advice on how to entertain a 2 year old while feeding a newborn?

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 8:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to sit on the couch, feed the newborn and read stories to the other child. Gotta love multitasking.
    Anonymous

• Crayons. Barney or the Wiggles. Blowing bubbles out on the lawn. All great ways to entertain two year olds.

Do you have a sling? It will really help...you need a wrap type, not the bag style like the Infantino.

Been there done that..five solid weeks! I survived, though.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group...lots of moms there who've been in your shoes.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Don't lay her down. Problem solved.

It's hardwired in a human baby's brain to cry when laid down. Babies are supposed to be held. When they are alone they could be in danger and they have the loud cry to make sure they are cared for. It's the babies that just lay there and sleep that aren't 'normal'.

You could carry your baby in a sling so your baby is still near and you can do things with your 2 year old and do other things you need to do. With a 3 week old you should be spending most of your time resting and recovering. Maybe still in bed in your nightgown.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I fed my first baby too much. I didn't know that then, but now as a mom to 3 I look back and realize that I thought all of her cries were hunger and I'd feed her. As a result she got too much fore milk and not enough hind milk and that causes gas and reflux like pains. So she would cry and be cranky and I'd feed her some more. I was always told to feed on demand and I took it literally. So, I'd feed her and if she cried 30 min later I'd feed her again and so on. I'm not there with you, so I don't know if that is what is going on in your situation, but if she is fussy and it's been less than 80 minutes since she's eatten, try burping her really well instead.

I also recommend you joining the BFing groups here.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• You're doing great!!! Good for contacting LLL. Also, it gets so much better after the first six weeks.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Everyone has great input. I would like to add that it sounds like a growth spurt. and so this cluster feeding will pass soon =]
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• omg...i din't think that i would survive breastfeeding my twins!!!
    they cluster fed from 4pm to 11 pm for 3 months!
    i had to have someone babysit us, especially around dinner time, my at the time 3 and 5 yo's were hungry and starting to fight w/ each other, and i couldn't put the babies down without them crying...
    you are doing a great job, and it will get easier!
    you could have a box of toys that your 2 yo can only play with at breastfeeding times...then they are kind of special.
    good luck and congrats!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• It's a growth spurt. The pattern varies a bit but you can depend upon 3-6-9: 3 days, 6 days, 9 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months... Be prepared and it will be easier to get through it!

Oh, and get a sling/wrap/infant carrier that way you can feed and do things. Though you do want to try and rest as much as you can.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Growth spurt! Normal!! Makes you want to pull your hair out!! lol I spent like 4 weeks with my son glued to my boob and it was totally normal and it was awesome in a way because I was like "wow my body is feeding my baby". BUT - It was also a bit awful, I was going a bit crazy without a ton of sleep or getting anything done... I should've just let it all go! BUT we made it through that and we're still going strong at 14 months and I am SOOOOO SOOOOO HAPPY that I stuck it out. You will be SO proud of yourself and SO amazed when it starts to get easier.

Good job and keep doing what you're doing and feed on demand! Even if it's every 20 minutes for 2 hours! It is what your baby needs.

A 2 year old.. If he doesn't watch much TV you could let him watch TV a bit, get a sling so you can walk around a bit more, go outside and sit (with baby and you shaded a bit of course), have him go get you things, have him help you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2010