Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

legal help

i have a cousin she is 18. she had a baby , and the baby dad has nothing to do with the baby. he didnt sign the baby birth certificate. she wants to go after him for child support but she wants to have full custy of the baby, that way he dont try to take him from her. we live in denver colorado.

i no all states are different , but can any one tell me anything , where i can look leagal info up, or if you gone thou this , what happen

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (2)
  • I am not a lawyer but even though he did not sign the BC she can petition for child support and he can ask for a paternity test.. However if he is paying support he will more than likely be entitled to visitation if he wants it.. Also if he wants to be petition for custody, the amount of custody, if any, would probably be determined by a judge if an agreement cant be made between them alone.

    Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 9:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

  • Child support and visitation are two different things. If he is not on the BC then he has no rights. She can request child support and he can request a DNA test. In a separate hearing he can request visitation. Its not like he can walk up to her and demand the child...he has to legal ground to stand on while he has no proof the child is his.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.