Has anyone ever had a LEEP procedure?

I have a LEEP procedure tomorrow, and I am scared. Has anyone had one? Did it lead to a hysterectomy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Health

• it is a quick procedure. No meds, so I reccommend taking some ibprofen before you go in. The doc opens you w/ the pap smear dealy-thing, then they use an electric device to cut out the skin of the cervix that has the abnormal cells. You cannot move, that way the doc wont nick ya. I usesd meditation during the procedure so I would not move. Just concetrate of breathing while it is being preformed.

Make sure you get annual chackups. There is a chance the hpv can come back. The only way you'd need a historectomy is if you actually get cancer. Good luck.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 10:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Hi - I had a LEEP back in July 2006. No, it did not lead to a hysterectomy for me.

I had mine done in a hospital under complete sedation. I know that some doctors also do it in their office. I prefer to be out cold for it. :)
    Since I was out, I didn't feel a thing, and I had no pain afterwards. Some women experience cramping after.
    Make sure you follow the dr's orders as far as recovery. You will feel fine in a few days, but your body needs more time to heal.

Hopefully you received instructions about your procedure. If you are having it in an office - they will numb you up completely.
    I think the previous poster might be referring to a colposcopy, and not a LEEP.

BTW - I am clear of all precancerous cells now. Good luck! Feel free to join Mom's Fighting Cervical Cancer (http://www.cafemom.com/group/2450) for more info or support.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 12:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I didn't have a LEEP, I had a cone biopsy which I think is just where they take a little bit deeper cells too. My abnormal cells were caused by HPV, and they kept recurring for 9 years before we finally went for the cone biopsy. I went to the hospital, they put me under complete sedation, an hour or two later I woke up, took some motrin and went home. I think they gave me something a bit stronger like a vicodin or something but I really didn't need it. You might cramp and bleed a bit, but that is normal. No, mine did not lead to a hysterectomy and so far, 2 years later, still free of abnormal cells. LEEPS and cone biopsies are considered full treatment for getting rid of abnormal cells. The only reason they would resort to hysterectomy would be if you have a carcinoma in situ (and normally not even then) or if its actual cancer. Which if you go when they recommend, it likely won't become cancer.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:46 AM on Mar. 19, 2010