what am i doing wrong - at home hair dying ??

I have a consistent problem now that i am trying to save $$ dying my hair at home. no matter what shade/brand i choose it always comes out brassy. like a little red. i really hate it because i dont have any natural red in my hair and it just looks terrible with my complexion. i am getting the neutral colors that say they minimize red tones. my friend who used to do hair said that maybe i am not leaving it in long enough to change the color completely. i really do not know! help me out. no i do not have well water.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 9:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• have you tired using something with an ash undertone instead of a copper undertone?
    Anonymous

• that means you have a natural red undertone to your hair (even if you can't really tell), buy Ash colors instead. The greenish tones in them will cancel out the red tones.

That's what my pro hair dresser friend told me anyways.
    Anonymous

• Girl, no matter how much money you "think" you are saving by doing it at home, wouldn't you rather pay someone something in order to have it done the correct way?? Personally, I gave all that "saving money ideas" because, frankly, not only was I spending more money in the long run, but it was causing me too much emotional stress as well. Call a Professional Stylist please.
    Anonymous

• well the last box i bought was ash blonde and it looks strawberry blonde. there has to be some hairdressers in the group!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• that's your problem! you bought a red toned blonde. if you don't want your hair red toned, get an ash tone.
    Anonymous

• confusedI decided to let a professional do mine and paid BIG BUCKS and she couldn't get the red out of my hair but when I do it out of a box at home I can. Go figure on that one! I'll not have it done again professionally.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• well anon... (9:43) all the other people said that ash blonde gets the red out.... that is what i thought. i said it "looks" strawberry....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:45 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I specialized in color when I did hair. Before I can answer your question I need to know what your natural color is, Are you applying color over color, and how long are you leaving the product on your hair before you wash it out?
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2010