5 yr old boy I asked for guidence person in his school to talk to cuz of his attitude.... and

so far she has never contacted me only talked with the teacher (which i already don't really get along with) She has observed him a few times but has never talked with him.. All I wanted was for him to be able to talk with someone diff becuase he does have a little of an attitude that I don't know what to do with sometimes but don't have problems with anything else... so know today I do in for conferences and the teacher gives me this paper that she wants me to fill out because she already filled one out for him and wants one from me, rating him on what he does at home... she said you never know it might come back that he has add/adhd...R U KIDDING ME? I know he doesn't have that, that isn't what I wanted he to talk with the lady about.. This teacher is soo quick to judge these kids it is crazy... another parent took her child to the doc to be evaluated and that doc said the teacher was crazy for evey suggesting it.. cont.....

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 10:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am so mad that this even came up he is no where near having any kind of problem like that.. he is a 5 yr old boy.. he does stupid stuff like the rest of them...lol but anyway I don't know if i should just trash the paper and say I am not filling it out that isn't what I wanted or what I should do.. i am affraid they will judge him diff.. because I don't want him tested.. i don't know what to do...
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I'm going through the same thing with my son's teacher. Unless the children are little zombies, they're not 'good'. It's ridiculous. They're FIVE. They are going to have ups and downs. She also wants my son tested and I'm against it. I have no problems whatsoever with him at home. Personally I would fill it out, but I would continue to refuse testing and continue calling the guidance counselor for assistance.
    Anonymous

• I'm a parent of a child with ADHD and a teacher so i definitely know both sides. I would say keep an open mind to what the teacher is saying- not that you have to have him tested or anything but just keep an open mind. We spend alot of time with these kids and can sometimes get a different insight than the parents for what is the norm. If you can try to work closely with the teacher to come up with some kind of plan to get your child back on track. I would try again to contact the guidance and let her know exactly what your concerns are and what your expectations are and then see if she can help you. good luck =)
    Anonymous

• was he having attitude issues at school? if not, then i would have addressed the attitude at home. I wouldn't have sent my child to a guidance counselor over a poor attitude unless i thought there was some underlying issues. The attitude should be dealt with as he gives it. He is five and probably trying to see how far he can push you....As kids get older they like to test new boundaries. And if he has been babied, he will fight suddenly having more responsibilities. I have made it clear that giving me attitude is not exceptable. When it happens there are consequences.

If you have a problem with the way the school handles things, I really wouldn't have involved them at all. If you REALLY feel he needs counseling, I would take him somewhere else. Tell the school, thanks but no thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It's not really at attitude problem, I deal with that.. He just gets mad a lot over the dumbest things so I figured I would take advantage of the guidance counselor and mybe he could learn to deal with his anger by talking it out.I have insuarance so I should have just took him somewhere else..Other than that I have no problems at home he is VERY smart he is in the middle of kindergarten and already reading book to us, the teacher has said he has pretty much mastered everything in kindergarten.. At home is a typical kid doesn't want to do his homework but when he sits down to get it done it's done in nothin flat! He is a typical 5 yr old.. He is loud because I will admit mama is loud and has a motor mouth! lol

I work with kids that have adhd and he has none of the signs the other kids have..
    I have also sat in class and watched him and he does much less then some of the other kids in his class do..
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• okay, well, i would maybe try talking with him yourself sometime when he isnt mad about why he thinks he gets so mad over things that are little. maybe they aren't as dumb to him (kids have different priorities than us sometimes). i would probably disregard the school. again, tell them that you are having it handled on your own and only need them to help educate him. and if you are still wanting him to have someone to talk to, I would have them do it with a private counselor.

That is awesom with how well he is doing in kindergarten! good luck with everything!
    Anonymous