5 yr old not listening

He is NOT listening AT ALL.
He yelled at his dad today when he picked him up from school today. In front of the teacher.
He will look at you with a blank stare when you tell him to do something.
Standing him in the corner, sitting on the stairs, put in his room (has no toys in there) are doing NOTHING. He doesn't care.

I have two other boys that are younger, and I have NO idea what to do! His dad and I are at a loss. We took everything away from him. No play room, no cars, nothing. He can read a book while sitting in a chair, but that is it.

Any advise??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are you and his father spending enough personal time with him? Has something big happened in his life recently? Sit down and talk to him. Ask him if something is bothering him. You might be surprised. My son began acting up (he is 5) and yelling and punishment wasn't working. I sat down with him, asked him seriously what was the problem and we figured it out. He has been much better since. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• My son feels that he isn't getting enough time with me or dh. I watch 2 girls 3 days a week and have 2 other children. He does get special alone time. All the other children in the house have naps and that time is his, he get's about 2 hours of me a day without interruption, usually. He is also the last one to be tucked in a night so we can chat and snuggle without the girls interrupting. Those are just the normal alone times he get's, that dosen't include when we can steal time when the girls are off doing this or that. It's a bit frustrating. He want's more time and I really can't give it to him without seriously neglecting my other children. He acts out some times and dosen't listen. He looses priveledges and such. It is hard because he is only 5 and dosen't understand how the other children need mine and daddy's time too.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Maybe you could try letting him earn things back. We do that with my son when he looses things. He may become desensitized to what it's like to behave and have his toys and such. The big leverage we have with my son is video and computer games. Those are the first things he will loose. He may loose them one day at a time for upto 10 days. Once he settles I explain to him that he dosen't get things if he is going to act poorly. If he want's to start behaving I acknowledge it by letting him earn them back one by one. It has made a bit of a difference.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2010