HELP I want to stop breastfeeding! =(

I am so upset right now. I want to bf so bad but am having a hard time bf through the pain. its only been a week but i feel like my whole world revolves around nursing my baby. i actually cried tonight while he was eating cause it hurt so bad. i have a pump and am thinking of pumping for a few feedings to give my nipples a little break. he uses a pacifier every now and then and also a nipple shield when we really need it for a few minutes and does fine with all so i feel adding a bottle would be ok. ANY advise please, i dont know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it does hurt, but it will stop. your boobs aren't used to all that happening on them! lol constantly at least! lol make sure he's latched on right as well. when he's done feeding if your nipple is flat or anything but round like it should be, then he's probably latched on wrong and that can cause all kinds of pain, not to mention ineffective feedings!
    get some lansolin (sp?) cream to soothe your nipples. Make sure your taking care of them by NOT washing them with soap when your in the shower...you simply should just rinse with water. It can dry them out, so express some breastmilk out of your boobs and rub it on you nipples and let it AIR DRY. It's a natural remedy to dry and tender/sore nipples.
    Hang in there! I know it's a very emotional thing, but emotions will even out and the feedings will be fewer.
    If you have to pump to get away some time by yourself, do it! Take a breather, and enjoy your baby when you are BF. xoxox
    Anonymous

• Just pump your milk and give it to your baby. you can even pump, save it and use it later for when your out or something. your baby will still get breast milk and you wont have to go through the pain
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Let me tell you my first week was HELL. My baby had what I called "nipple chomping latch" I had it corrected right away and it took time to get over the soreness and the cracking. NIpples WILL be to curling sore at first but it gets better each day. Newborns have an crazy powerul suck and you aren't used to it...just like you'd be dead sore if you ran a marathon out of the blue. But excrutiating pain is a sign of a bad latch. THROW OUT THE PACIFIER. It is likely making the problem worse.

There were three days where I thought I would lose my mind. I cried. Dreaded the next feed. What helped me was knowing that I had addresed the problem, that the soreness would go away, and that each day was better than the last.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Breastfeeding at first is very hard and can be very painful. The pain will go away. Try getting some lanolin for your nipples and some of the Soothies breast pads. Put the Soothies in the fridge, and they feel wonderful! As far as feeling like you're constantly nursing, that's going to be the case for at least the first 3 weeks, maybe longer. My daughter is 6 weeks old, and she nursed quite a bit for the first 3 weeks. Now she goes about 1.5-2 hours, sometimes as long as 3 during the day and she sleeps through the night. I would suggest get comfy on the couch, throw in your favorite movies, and don't worry about the house for now. Let your hubby (or mom or MIL) do the cooking and laundry until you get nursing established. As far as pumping, I cannot give you advice. I think the "rule" is not to pump because that can make your nipple pain worse and affect your supply. I started pumping early to have a stash on hand.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I also dunked my nipples in salt water to speed healing, put on lansinoh to keep them moist, was topless 24/7, I made sure I didn't wait too long to feed an insatiably hungry baby who would rip my nipple off with the desperation of hunger. IF I needed to take her edge off I hand expressed into a SPOON and told my husband to let her lap it up so that it took the edge off her hunger. I made sure to switch holds and positions so that she wasn't always on the same sore spot. Mostly I told myself that it was the initial latch that was the worst and once she got going the soreness was better.

One day I woke up and realized that I didn't feel a thing. It was between week one and week two, but I really don't recall. The worst thing I could have done was to pump and give a bottle. NO bottles in my house (even though I was back to work a week after birth) until week 8. I wanted to be SURE our latch ...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• first few weeks are hell on earth, but it does get better.

the pacifier is a contributing factor whether you believe it or not- it teaches an improper latch and suck.

make sure that the baby is getting as much of you in his mouth as is possible, bring him to the breast, not the breast to him when he opens really, really wide.
    usually the pain you described is from a poor or improper latch. also check to make sure that he hasn't curled his lip under.
    relax. relax. relax... it WILL get better. I promise.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Ok bf after like 3 days should not hurt-- couple of things try getting some lanolin--- apply it THICK after a nice hot shower allow your nipples to air dry--- after each feeding (baby to breast is ALWAYS best) squeeze out some breast milk and leave your shirt off allowing the breast milk to air dry on your nipples--
    ditch the shield
    GET SOOTHIES-- keep them in the fridge and use them 2x a day for an hour
    go to a LLL meeting they are wonderful helpers.... and will get your babies latch down right in one visit!

breastfeeding is based on demand supply theory-- so if you supplement you will never produce enough breast milk-- pumping is great for working Moms not for newborns

last though most humans take the path of least resistance-- bottles are much easier then breasts

formula is the equivalent of McDonalds in nutrient value and convenience :)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Don't get too discouraged and give up yet, it's only been a week! I know it probably seems like the longest week of your life right now but it will get better, it took 3-4 weeks before the pain was totally gone for me but I'm SOOOOO glad I stuck it out! Talk to a lactation consultant and make sure he's latching right and use lanolin on you nipples (or let some expressed breast milk dry on them) between feedings.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• ....was fixed. You can do it! Hang in there. Visit http://www.kellymom.com/  for info and also http://www.drjacknewman.com/  and watch some videos and read a lot of info. Also joing the breastfeeding moms group for support. There are women who are really passionate and won't mince words, but that is the kind of energy that keeps you going in the face of obstacles!

Oh yeah, I second to ditch the shield. It sucks and doesn't help in my experience. No bottles either. I know it is tempting but don't do it. If you must do something because you need to start off a feed use an eyedropper, spoon, or shot-glass sized cup. Don't use artificial nipples.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I'm nursing my second baby. Somewhere around week two of her life, I remember sitting in the middle of the living room staring at my squalling newborn, crying right back at her, in the middle of the night. I really didn't think I could do it anymore. I had more than a year of experience nursing my son and my daughter was an excellent nurser as well. I wasn't even that sore. Just tired.
    Having a newborn is exhausting, no matter what. Whether you use bottles or nurse, it's exhausting. The first six weeks are the worst, as far as sleepless nights go and it DOES get better.
    It's certainly worth talking with a lactation consultant to make sure that your baby's latch is proper. Make sure your baby is latched on correctly every time. One bad latch can cause you pain for several days.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2010