Discipline without losing your mind?

loving our toddler(16 months)! Excitement aside, how in the world am I supposed to get him to listen and follow directions and understand NO without becoming the world's biggest mean mommy?? The second he realizes I've caught him doing something I don't want him to do and try to stop him, he slams, (and I mean quite literally crumples and slams his little body onto the ground and starts wailing. I can handle this, I know that at this age they are frustrated at everything because they can't communicate their needs and wants properly. When he CAN communicate-we are able to resolve the situation quite well, he can't always do this though. I don't yell if I can help it, but it seems like almost EVERYTHING is a screaming situation for him. For such a happy baby, he gets so upset sometimes! Again, how do I discipline him effectively, without losing my sanity?? any tips for what you do would be awesome... thanks!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL!! Hand... MEET.... BUTT.

I really have to laugh at all you silly moms... How in the heck are you supposed to raise a good child these days.... PARENTING IS NOT FOR WIMPS GALS!!

HAVE SOME CONTROL OVER YOUR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again,

Hand

Meet

Butt!!!
    Anonymous

• Wow, well i've dealt with my daughter, a totally different way, and she's fine now. She used to have melt downs. I comfort her, and say, it makes mommy sad and that she shouldn't do that anymore. Make sure you have eye contact and explain it's a "no no no no no"
    My daughter will literally go up to things she's not supposed to have ( without touching them or anything) and say "no no no no no" shaking her head and shaking her finger at it lol.
    You've got to be consistent with it....seriously. If your not then they'll play with it and then you have no control over the situation.
    Anonymous

• That's the thing with children that young...not everything is a discipline issue. Unless it's something that will harm him, try to redirect his attention. Try not to use the word "no" all the time...reserve that word for when he's doing something or touching something dangerous. When he throws a tantrum, let him do it. Stay close though. When he is done crying, try talking to him. Acknowlege the fact that you understand how he feels. "I know you're mad because Mommy won't let you have the ball. It's ok to get mad. Everyone gets mad sometimes". Then give him a big hug, and try to direct him to another activity that he CAN do (like coloring, or perhaps playing with stickers). Use a normal voice, and try not to yell. But use a firm voice when you mean business.
    Anonymous

• Ignore anon 10:34pm. 16 mnoths old should not be spanked under any circumstance.
    Anonymous

• 16 month olds****
    Anonymous

• if he throws a temper tantrum stick him in his crib and let him dealw ith him self hes doing it for attention. like the other mom said HAND MEET BUTT!
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 11:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• I don't agree with the first or the last hand meet butt. especially at this age...
    Anonymous

• You don't spank babies. Yes they are STILL babies.
    Anonymous

• Try teaching him some simple sign language. You can pick up a book on sign language for babies at the library or your local book store. Signs like "thirsty," "hungry," "tired," and "pain" can help with communication. We did this with our youngest daughter from the time she was about 9 months and it worked well for us.

Phianabismoma

Answer by Phianabismoma at 12:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Well.. some people SPANK their young children or throw them in a crib to ignore them because they're LAZY!!! That's right LAZY! When my 2 year old has a melt down, Ive found that getting on to her.. punishing her in any way just makes things worse. She screams louder, smacks me more, yells "NO" at me more. So I stopped doing that.. cuz one day I just though, Hey i'll try to hug her instead to see if it works. and it did. And I've showed my husband too, just hug her and she stops. problem solved.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 1:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2010