My toddler screams every night at bedtime after we tuck her in? We let her cry it out but she's getting older and I feel bad..so my question is how many times should we go in to reassure her within the hour? It's truly heartbreaking to hear her cry / scream daily..you'd think she'd get it by now..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Really?? Heartbreaking to hear her cry? OMG, I feel sorry for you when this kid is about 13... she will be walking all over your ass. It's totally find to let her cry... trust me, it can't last forever. She will tire of it. If you break down, you will never win. You have to have some control and giving in because she is crying, is not it! BE STRONG MOM!!! YOU WILL WIN!!
    Anonymous

• I always explain bedtime to her...I used to say "we're gonna rock rock for a bit then you need to go night night" and I'd say "big girl night night time"
    Explain everything to her and that you and daddy need to go to bed, and she has her bed and you have your bed. Give her a stuffed animal or whatever she finds comforting...a special blanket is ours!
    Play up EVERYTHING...and how WONDERFUL her bed is and how wonderful her sheets and her pillow are...lol
    My daughter still gets up, but we always put her back down, by not saying anything and not looking at her. Don't give in and let her get up either! Good luck girly! xo
    Anonymous

• You could do a weaning method that is really as much for your comfort as it is for hers.

You just keep adding an extra 5-15 minutes (whatever you prefer) in the length of time each night you'll let her scream before you go to her.

The trick to sleep training whether you want to do a fast cold turkey, or a slower weaning method is to be consistent, and be prepared for a few days of really hard sleepless nights while you're doing the training.
    Anonymous

• why cant you lay in bed with her until she falls asleep? howabout putting a sleeping bag in your room on the floor for her?.. try something besides CIO-- by your own statement it doesnt work... and the feel bad thing is your conscious letting you know ITS WRONG... remember someday she'll pick your nursing home be kind
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Well, I'm not ganna bash you like some people..... I have a 2 year old, and we recently moved. She went from sleeping in our living room to having her own room. She was crying every night and waking up scared a lot so I moved her to our bedroom. She sleeps fine if I'm going to bed right then too, and if she talks i just say Shhh lay down, night night. and she does. But if i'm staying up sometimes she cries, so i put a cd player with nursery music on for her and leave a good light on.. so usually she'll just lay down and go right to sleep. Perhaps... she just needs to sleep in your room. And I find it heartbreaking too when my 2 year old is screaming, and it doesn't fade out, she can scream for a LONG LONG time. I've tried to see before if she'd stop.. its just cruel, but you don't need me to tell you that.. cuz you already know... GL
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 1:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I usually let my daughter cry for about 10 minutes at first (unless she seems truly distressed), but after I check on her to make sure she's not stuck or anything I wait 20 minutes at a time (again, as long as she's not distressed). Usually she's done after the ten minutes though.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2010