ged/diploma

I dont know what to do all the jobs out there want a ged or diploma,i dont have either and I dont have enough education to pass a ged I know cause I did a practice test for one it was quite the test and it was online. I'm married to a sweet man but he is self employed and his work is sporatic,and he hasnt filed taxes in many years so I cant get any grants. I do clean a house two days a week for $10 an hour so I'm not sitting around doing nothing at all, all week long. I dont know at this point what to do and were down to one car. I would love to work at night a graveyard job but am having a tough time getting interviews. I just need comfort from someone thats been in my shoes and knows what to do to change things,I want things to be better for myself and for my future.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• study study study...take night classes or something that will bring you up to par to take your GED test! It's so important, and I know you can do it if you want to do it! The longer you wait, the harder it becomes! xoxoo best of luck!
    Anonymous

• I would study and get your GED. It's hard enough getting a job with just a high school education, it's going to be nearly impossible to get one without. And if you are lucky enough to get a job, stick with it no matter how bad it might be. Seeing that you can stay long term will help you in the future.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• The GED test is not hard. I just took it one month ago- today
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 11:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• It is when your parents didnt care to send you to school when you were a kid and the only grades you attended were 5th grade and then 5 yrs later they stick you in the 10th grade cause thats where they needed to stick me. Yea my dad and mom were suppose to home teach me but they never did now here I'am yrs later and scared to go to school because I knw for a fact I will flunk! I got all f's when they put me in the 10th grade I was lost. I'm not like most of the folks out their who led normal lives,I was molested as a kid and thats the reason I was kept at home.I was too scared to tell my mom because she would beat me so bad sometimes I would wake up and not know where I was or what happened. I dont have general knowledge like the general population.
    Anonymous

• Your husband is self employed and hasn't filed taxes in many years? That's illegal. He is REQUIRED by law to file taxes.
    I don't have a GED/Diploma either. I took a test a few years back and passed every subject well above average except for math. I am terrible with numbers and I just cannot wrap my head around it beyond adding/subtracting/multiplication. One thing that I need to do is sit down and study. I didn't apply myself in the classroom in school and didn't ask for help when I needed it, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of learning. The same goes for you. You aren't incapable of learning, you just weren't taught what you need to know. Get the GED study guides and study. Have someone help you if you need some guidence. Don't be afraid to ask. You need to just apply yourself and work hard at learning what is required to know. Have your husband help you out. Just study.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Contact your local community college. They will likely offer GED prep classes. Once you have your GED, you can continue taking classes at the school.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear that your home life and education were so bad. I agree that the GED is not hard, but if you aren't used to books and classrooms and tests, I can see how passing would be more of a challenge for you. And your husband need to deal withhis tax issues. He may not owe any taxes. Write-off's on selfemployement are pretty generous. But he needs to do the paperwork. You may be missing out on child credits which went up big time this year. Not every job requires an education. If you can sell you can make money. There are also jobs out there that require serious hard labor like cleaning, nursing home work, landscaping. There aren't as many of these jobs as ther used to be, but there are a few. Think of jobs that immigrants would take. think of how you can move into a position of management because you speak English. Even on the house cleaning if you were the person bringing in business you would make more
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I would study for that GED as well. You can even check out a study guide for free at your local library. Study the portions extra hard that you know that you had difficulty with online. You can do this!

Once you do get into some work, at least file your own taxes 'married but filing separately'. This way you can still get the child credit until your husband clears up his taxes. I am also self-employed, but they are very generous with write-offs and deductions. If he were to file his back taxes he could even make payment arrangements on the arrears.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 19, 2010