Why do people assume RN's make a ton of money??

I know several RN's and my DH is one as well...they all thought they'd be paid fairly well going in to this career. Professors and places like monster.com all claimed RN's made 50 - 60 grand right out of school. Uh...no! To make big bucks you have to be in charge, specialize, lots of experience, etc.

Also, they typically don't make a fair amount for the amount of work they do, the type of work it is, and the serious level.

Any thoughts???

xElizabethx

Asked by xElizabethx at 10:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• My hub is a soldier. before you complain...take a look around.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• People assume lots of careers have big pay outs that don't. When people hear where my husband works they say "oh, you guys have it made" UMMM NO Right now because of cut backs his paycheck is the same as it was when we got married 15 years ago. They should just worry about their own paycheck.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• How much do they make at the beginning? my hubby is going to school to be an RN with his BS. I'm also going to school to be an RN.
    We're going into that field just for the better job security morso than anything.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• The RN's around here make 70+k a year.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Where do you live blue?
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• It all depends on where you live and how high of a demand there are for RN's in your area.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 11:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Portland, OR
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• ok, we're in IL, but hoping to move to CA after we're through school
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• mrsjosey1018200 - How was your husband's proffession even relevant at all?

It does depend on the area and the demand of the position. Some places have a higher cost of living, so the employees get paid more. Some hospitals are better off and can afford to pay their employees more. It depends on the position, the location, and the hospital.

I do know that people assume that being in medical field, regardless of your actual position, that you're well off. They don't realize that there is a food chain in the medical field as there is in any other establishment.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• omg you guys are so bright I've seen a girls books at this home I clean and it blew me away what you have to study.
    Anonymous