Is it okay to have unprotected relations to try and get pregnant after a failed IVF cycle when there are 18 plus good Eggs that will be released soon?

My wife and i just had our first ivf cycle fail because she weighs 103 and the doctor never thought to take the meds down to a lower dose so her hormone levels sky rocketed the day before retrieval, which was devastating as we have been trying for 4 years. Now she has 18 great and healthy eggs that will come out naturally over the next couple weeks and the nurse said to only have sex with condoms because we could fertilize too many, that is the only health risk. Our thought is that i have very low counts and havent been able to fertilize anything in 4 years so why not try. What does anyone thing on the matter, would it really be possible to fertilize 18 eggs anyway?

miracleshappen1

Asked by miracleshappen1 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• This site is for women isn't it? Why isn't your wife asking us this?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Ugh yeah.... Unless its a lesbian letting her woman sleep with a man
    Anonymous

• she did put it on here, but i type faster and i guess i wrote it from first person, i appologize for the confusion.
    miracleshappen1

Answer by miracleshappen1 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• yeah okay, thats a man
    Anonymous

• I would say you could probably try it but I'd be prepared for the possibility of multiples and maybe even having to terminate some of them so that the others will make it. But I'm NOT a Dr, just my thoughts on it. If you end up with 10 embryos and you don't think you'd be OK with reducing the number after the fact then I wouldn't risk it. And if you are OK with that possibility then I would talk to the Dr. about that option. Does that make sense?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• We appriciate your response. thank you for your opinion.
    miracleshappen1

Answer by miracleshappen1 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• If you have not been able to conceive for four years of normal ovulation the risk is really only......do you or do you not want multiples. Well, I think you probably considered that before IVF right? Well, in my mind, they will get paid to do another IVF, so of course they don't want you to have sex the old fashioned way. God forbid you should do it yourself. :) Anyway....good luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Mar. 19, 2010