how to teach your children to eat with a spoon?

Ever since my son was younger I would give him a spoon while he ate. He finger feeds just fine. But he is almost 16 months. If I put a plate on his tray he will just dump it.And the only thing he can use a spoon with is yogurt or something of that texture, and even then he dips his fingers in. About what age is it normal for them to figure out this skill. And any tips on how I can help him learn?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 11:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine is 20 months and will just now try to actually put the spoon IN his mouth lmao!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My son is going to be 2 next month and he is just now starting to get the hang of the spoon. Still looks like he bathed in his food when he tries to use it though.
    Anonymous

• I don't remember an exact age when my kid started eating with a spoon. It was more of a slow transition thing with plenty of giving up and switching to the fingers at first.

I never really forced it on her or even guided her hand with the process. I just kept putting the spoon on her tray and she eventually wanted to mimic how we ate, and she eventually tried longer intervals before giving up.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My DD has eatten with a spoon and fork easily since 16 months.
    Anonymous

• There isn't a "Normal" age when children learn these things. Every child learns by example and that example is you. Sit down with him and eat a cup of yogart while he is. Show him how you eat with a spoon and then guide him in doing it himself. He will get the idea and he will try to do it himself more and more. Encourage him to try and praise him when he comes close and/or does actually use it properly. It is okay that he still eats with his hands. Just encourage him to use the spoon and keep working at getting him to do it properly.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• My son is 22 months and just got pro at using a spoon. He was eating corn with it today and saying Yay every time he got it in his mouth lol. He does good with a fork too but not as good as he does with a spoon. Just keep giving him one and he will get it down especially if he sees you eating with one.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 2:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• As long as my son is eating something like yogurt or pudding with a spoon he can get it to his mouth. But usually he just dips the spoon in it. I always give him a spoon at every meal and he will play around with it to try to figure out how to get food on it but usually just holds it in one hand and eats with the other. He is fixing to be 15 months.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• He sounds fine to me. If he's dumping, you may need to hold the bowl and let him work just on the spoon thing. Around that age they usually respond well to rounds of applause (we get the whole family involved when we're trying to get our 18 month old to take a bite of something new). I think by about 17.5 months my daughter could sit and eat a whole container of yogurt by herself with a spoon, unsupervised. But I really don't think my first daughter could have... Baby steps... He'll be civilized one day.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I dont remember the age really (maybe 16 months?) but I would just guide my kids hand in the correct position and let them practice.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I have heard of parents who actively teach their infants to eat with a spoon by a year old or so.

Myself, I gave my son a fork or spoon for every meal and made sure he always ate WITH us. He liked having a spoon or fork at his place but even now, almost two and a half, he still gives up the utinsils and switches to his fingers sometimes. I think for most kids, skill with utinsils starts to really develop between 18 months and 2 years.

If your child sees adults and older children eating with utinsils, he WILL develop the skill. At 16 months, my son was much better using a fork to stab things than he was at scooping up liquid-ish things in a spoon. Soup still defies him.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2010