Wiccan Sabbats Added To NJ School Holiday List

This morning, the New Jersey Board of Education voted to approve their list of religious holidays permitting pupil absence from school for the 2010-2011 school year. Included for the first time on this list are the eight Pagan/Wiccan holidays, or sabbats. This marks the first time any state has approved Pagan holidays to a state calendar, and will set a precedence for other districts and states across the country.

It actually happened on the 17th, but I just came across it. I am SO happy about this! I truly hope it does pave the way for other districts to do the same in all states. No reason we can't have ours if others get theirs. Link in reply below.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 12:00 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• YAY! I'm so happy for the Pagans!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• FULL STORY HERE

You can view the NewJersey State Board of Education
    Agenda
    as well. Click Item B, then save or open. (pdf)

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:02 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• hmm if this comes to our district they better very well give our kids off Good Friday without an absence because of right now they are marked absence.

Personally I don't care, but I am now curious how many who yell separation of church and state will be for this now that is the other side. Welcome to our side of the track. What does it hurt heh?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Comment from someone who was there:

"I just got back from the meeting in Trenton, we had a great showing of support! The Board passed the measure unanimously. We all applauded, and the President of the Board said "Wow, I guess we added the right holidays!"

Thank you to everyone who participated in the campaign, and congratulations are in order for all. I will be getting in touch with the BoE this week to find out if the list will be retroactive (as it was passed for the 2010-11 school year) so that students can be accommodated for the remaining Sabbats this school year."

Thank you for getting the word out Kris, many Blessings to you!

Rev. Matthew Bartky
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Woa, anon 9:04 what the hell?! We get a little recognition and you get all huffy. Nice, real nice.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Normally I am all for seperation of church and state anon. However in this sit. I say turn about is fair play. Us Christians have holidays that are federal, why not the wiccans. I think it's great and say you go wiccans. You deserve a lot more of your holidays acknowledged as well almost any other religion can get days like this by just stating there reason they get the day off with out the absence.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

rolling on floor

now they say whats the problem lmAo!!! Hey I agree with you, BFD girlfriend. Who Da Heck CARES hmm? Just like who the eff cares when Christians get a little Christmas tree or a holiday. Lets go and give it to them all. I am just saying YOU are now enduring the little rude comments Christians have endured.

it ain't fun is it?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• However in this sit.
    ***As I said in my first response quote-->"Personally I don't care"

I say turn about is fair play-- Again quote-->"give our kids off Good Friday without an absence because of right now they are marked absence. "

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• About damn time! Now if only PA Schools would get on board! Maybe once my kids are closer to school age I'll start pushing for it... But now that NJ is doing it, maybe it will catch on. It would add to the tolerance anyways.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• bow downfreaking awesome

sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2010