Breastfeeding and pumping

I would love advice from mommies that had to pump. I will have to return to work. I want to keep breastfeeding the baby. I will have to pump. I have heard stories that the pumping hurts the chances of success. I would appreciate all the tips!

mommytoangel407

Asked by mommytoangel407 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped for quite awhile. Honestly, it really did not hurt at all. At first it was a bt strange, but I got used to it. While pumping, I actually produced mre milk and was able to storage it so whae I did go back to work, my dd had plenty available. You can freeze your milk for a limited time, so make sure you use it regularly. Also, the extra milk I had enabled my dh an opportunity to feed our dd with a bottle, knowing that she was getting only the best. Good luck!
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 12:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Check out www.kellymom.com for good information on pumping success :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:34 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I am doing just that! While I'm at work I try to stay on the same schedule as DS feeds on. It keeps me from getting engorged and keeps my supply on track. So just try to stay on the same schedule as LO. If needed/wanted have a picture of your baby to visually stimulate your brain into thinking you're actually feeding your LO, or a recording of their hungry sounds. Oh and when pumping try to have it mimik the feel of how your baby nurses, it helps trick your body into thinking you're actually nursing the baby. Other wise just try to relax.
    A good website I found was: http://www.workandpump.com/
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 3:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I worked full time, pumped and breastfed until my daughter self-weaned at 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Pumping should NOT hurt. Be sure you have the right pump for your needs. I work part time, short sessions so I only need a single electric pump. If you work full time you need a stronger double pump.     You also should check out this website:    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html    It will show you how to pump effectively and efficiently.     If you couple breast massage with pumping you will double your yeild in the same amount of pump time.    

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Pump in the AM between 4 and 8AM as that is when your production is peaked. Pump on one side while baby feeds on the other when you can so take advantage of baby activated let down. Nurse baby AS SOON AS you get home. If you want to stimulate more supply, you can pump between feeds (it depends on how much you need). The important thing is whatever baby takes when you are gone, that's the amount you want to pump. I went back to work a week after my baby was born.

Also be sure to use a breast freindly bottle and don't use pacifiers unless necessary. I use the Adiri bottle, but there is also the breastflow, dr browns, and the mimijiri. You essentially want a bottle that the baby has to work at...something as close to breastfeeding as possible. I didn't allow artificial nipples until my baby was 8 weeks old...until then we used a spoon or eyedropper. See: www.drjacknewman.com
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• What you've heard? Wrong.

I pumped through all of year one, dropped the pump at the first birthday, nursed to 26 months. It absolutely can be done.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group...we can help.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2010