Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Psychology or Criminal Justice?

I am 4 classes away from getting my associates degree in psychology and my adviser suggested I switch to criminal justice for my bachelors degree. I want to assess people that have committed violent crimes, learn how their brains may work differently than others, and find ways they may be helped, but I do not want to go out and collect evidence, or file paperwork on crimes and such. So the question is, is there any one in criminal justice and any one in psychology that has any suggestions on what to choose?

Answer Question

Asked by avral54660 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I am one in neither but criminal justice is not the best field to get into right now. plus it looks like you are not too enthused about it. I am a human service sophmore in college. This would suit crime advocates, too. I now I am confusing you more, but isnt assessing people like a social worker? Human services is both LAw (criminal justice) and ethics (phycology/compassion)

    Answer by Amberoz at 2:00 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • Research job opportunities before committing to a major

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • Psychology will do you no good unless you get graduate degrees. A bachelor's means nothing. You have to have a masters a minimum. I don't know about criminal justice though.

    Answer by purpleducky at 9:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • For the goals that you have, I would suggest staying with psychology. Maybe minor in criminal justice. You can work in the criminal justice field with ANY type of degree.

    Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • I agree with the Human Services degree. This degree or one in Social Work will give you many more options than a degree in Psychology or Criminal Justice. I am getting my Associates in Human Services and then I will be getting my Bachelor's in Human Services and then my MSW (Masters in Social Work). I will have many more options this way than getting degrees in Psych. I will also have a certificate in Alcohol and Drug Counseling. With the MSW, I can become a Licensed Counseling Social Worker and counsel people, I can work in a school or hospital. I can be a Social Worker with CPS (I do NOT want to do that though, but it is an option). I can teach at a community college or in a Bachelor's program with an MSW. The doors and options are wide open with an MSW.

    Good luck, in whatever choice you make.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.