breastmilk

If you made enough milk to feed once a day, how would you get your supply back up to par so you can feed strictly breastmilk?

If you say to nurse frequently, I BF in the AM and im dry all day long. I barely have enough milk the next morning so I need more than frequent nursing....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stimulating your breasts more frequently WILL increase your supply, guaranteed. The more you only nurse in the morning only the lower your supply will be. Breastmilk works on a demand-supply basis. If the demand isn't there your supply won't increase no matter what you do.

Start putting baby to the breast more often. In addition to this (though not anywhere near as effective), you can take fenugreek suppliments, eat oatmeal and drink lots of fluids (but don't overdo it). But seriously, nursing more often is your best bet. Yeah, you might seem to have less milk the first couple of mornings, but it WILL increase quickly and by the 3rd day I'm sure you will notice you have more.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:51 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Should I supplement on top of that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yes. Since you have only been BFing once a day, you will likely not have enough to provide for baby exclusively at first. To do this, you have two options. You can either nurse for as long as baby will nurse for, and only AFTER baby has voluntarily come off the breast, offer the suppliment, OR you can use a nursing supplimenter like this one so that your breast is stimulated while baby is recieving the suppliment

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Starter-Supplemental-Nursing-00902/dp/B002ZKSZ82

What have you been feeding baby while you were not breastfeeding?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Formula..my milk deminished because of birth control and i just went off it so i want to get my milk back up..I love breastfeeding! Thank you so much for your help:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• No problem :) Yep, just offer the formula only after nursing sessions. I know it might seem counterproductive at first, but usually within 48 hours your milk will start to increase. Watch baby closely, don't overfeed on the formula. When in doubt if baby has had enough, take the formula away and wait for a half hour, offer the breast again, and then the rest of the formula after baby has nursed.

You can do it, mamma! It's a little bit of hard work, but it's worth it for the money saving alone lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Great suggestions above. I also suggest making sure that you are drinking a lot of water, take brewers yeast tablets, have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I agree with above, nurse baby more - you will make more milk. It is not like emptying a pitcher of water.. You don't pour little cups out all day and end up with nothing at the end. It is more like a self-replenishing fountain. You dump some out and it starts trickling back in immediately til full again - it's never totally empty, just might have such a tiny amount at times it seems empty. The more often and lengthily time you dump out the fountain, the more tit will get in it at once and the faster it'll replenish itself. Nurse your 2 nursings before each formula for as long as baby wants (unless its only 2 minutes in which case you may need to play a bit of tough love since the flow at first from your breasts will be slow - put baby back to breast after 30 minutes before giving formula. Baby may cry). Slowly drop the formula use. Get a supplemental nursing system - it'll get rid of bottles and nipple preference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• SNS's
    http://www.westburyonline.com/Medela-Supplemental-Nursing-System-SNS-00901S-P6724.aspx
    http://www.lact-aid.com/uses.htm

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• And wtg at deciding to re-lactate. That is awesome and if you need support join Breastfeeding Mom's. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Nurse nurse nurse and nurse some more. Milk is made WHILE nursing. If you're not putting baby to breast, your supply won't ever get there. A supplemental nursing system will really help.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2010