How can I break my 7month old of needing a bottle to sleep?

My 7 month old daughter will not go to sleep without a bottle. As soon as she seems to fall asleep and you take the bottle away she wakes up. She absolutely will not take a pacifier. So because of this she is not napping at daycare and is very crabby in the evenings. What do I do?

wennyb

Asked by wennyb at 1:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm STILL having this prob with my almost one year old! Nothing works! I hope someone can enlighten you and me both! Because I feel like I am doing something wrong because she is so old to be doing this.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 1:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Have you tried moving her feeding schedule around to feeding her when she wakes up from a nap? Only give the bottle after and see how she reacts. It might take a few days for her to adjust.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• She likely still has a strong reflex need to suck. A reflex is not like a habit. Have you tried a pacifier that is more like the shape and style of the bottle? Have you made sure she was in DEEP sleep before you remove the bottle? Babies have shorter sleep patterns and are in light sleep longer than deep sleep so look for limp limbs, unclenched limp hands and fingers, deep breathing, heavy head. Have you tried bait and switch? REmove the bottle but when she roots for it put in the pacifier?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2010