How many moms use cloth daipers?

And if you do, who do you use for delivery service? Do you like the cloth daipers? What are the perks and the down falls of cloth daipers?

Bettybleu

Asked by Bettybleu at 1:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use cloth but don't do delivery service... eats up the savings. I like the cloth because I never run out of diapers, better for the environment, CUTER, and they save a BUNCH of money. The downfalls? My biggest one is that you have to be careful what detergent you use. Too much build up can cause problems. I dont mind the extra 2 loads a week, or putting the poop in the toilet. It's also a significant upfront investment. But I love using them, wouldn't go back!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I wanted to but never did I just have so much to do plus I work I cant imagine the extra laundry plus I do not have a washer hookups are not allowed here so taking crappy diapers to the laundrymat when some weeks I barely make it to one just isn't realistic for me. I do bargain shop for diapers though people would be shocked on how little I spend on them. Im not picky about brands because everything has worked for him and some of the generics are great where I live and when I buy name brands i only do so when there is a store sale and I use manufacturer coupons on top of it and pay very cheap. A diaper service would cost me a lot more. I just bought out walgreens old diapers because they are restocking some new packaging. I got 40 packs for 2.29. I find deals like this often lol.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I LOVE cloth diapering! I don't use a service - I launder my own dipes and also use cloth wipes and cloth pads for myself. It's no big deal for me to do 2-3 extra loads of laundry per week. I could list TONS of benefits, but the best things are they're good for the environment, softer, cheaper, and cuter! The downfalls? Ummmm... I like them so much it's hard to think of any... seems expensive to buy them all at first, but the total you spend is WAYYY less than disposables. Can be tricky to figure out a laundry routine, but once you've got it down, it's cake. Might have to carry a bigger diaper bag. Benefits outweigh the negatives for my family!
    KatieBug63

Answer by KatieBug63 at 2:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• yes, I do. I use bum genuis one size, but I will be getting some prefolds soon for when my new baby gets here. I also have an emergancy back up of disposables. I do not use a diaper service, I wash them myself. There are many benefits to cloth diapers, but the one that got me was that you save a TON of money!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• We used cloth and did not use a service (and lived on the 3rd floor of a 3 story walkup)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• We use cloth & do not use a service - I didn't know they still had diaper services. I love them so much, we never run out, they're way easier than I thought they would be, they're adorable on her little butt, and we've saved a ton of money so far. The initial output cost depends on which kind you want to use - prefolds are the cheapest. The laundry isn't bad, it'd be a little easier if, like rkoloms, we didn't live on the 3rd floor of a walkup building. BUT it's way better than buying diapers & the cloth are much nicer to her bottom.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 7:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I use prefolds and flats with covers so they were extra cheap. I wash them myself. I never run out, they don't reek of chemicals, the baby tells me when she has to "go" or is wet and needs immediate changing (we also practice Elimination Communication). They can be reused for subsequent chilren so I don't have to buy any more unless I want to. I don't use special detergent because the one I was ALREADY usng on our clothes was fine (seventh generation delicate), with 2 tbsp washing soda, and 1-2 tbsp ecover non chlorine bleas (those two i use instead of oxyclean). In the winter I use a dryer, but now that its spring I hang them out so I use less energy. Baby will also be out of diapers much sooner!

Even if I didn't have a regular washer it would be cheaper for me to get one of those mini electric washers or the hand tumbler washers to do laundry anyway.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I cloth diapered all three from birth to potty.

didn't use a service - they're way too expensive. I preferred to use fitted diapers with fleece liners, and PUL covers.

http://www.borntolove.com/diaperfaq.html

www.diaperjungle.com

are a couple of FANTASTIC sites.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:00 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I use cloth but don't use a delivery service. Pros - cheaper, can be reused on subsequent babies, doesn't fill up the landfills, they are SUPER cute, we've had minimal diaper rash, have only had two poo blowouts compared to about 60% of the time we've used disposables we get poo blowouts and that's with 3 different brands
    Cons (which I really don't think are that big of a deal) - have to be careful when buying pants as anything trim won't go over her big butt, more laundry
    I use prefolds and covers around the house and pocket diapers when out and about or someone other than myself or my husband is going to change her. Pockets are really easy, very similar to the ease of disposables. Once you get the hang of it, prefolds and covers are really easy as well.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Use cloth and don't have a diaper service.I was looking on the internet for them and found out a disposable diaper takes up to 500 years to decompose in a land fill scary. There aren't much work at all as long as you have a washer and drier.
    trachmom312

Answer by trachmom312 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2010