how many of you have had tubes put in your child ears?

I would like to know your experiences with this.My 2 year old has had countless ear infections and antibotics of several sorts and the problem has not gotten any better.we are a non smoking home,she does't take a sippy to bed,or use a pacifer.She is constantly complaining and crying about her ears.A few weeks ago she had a double ear infection and she is complaining again about her ears.I want my little girl to have relief but i don't know how to go about it.her doctor seems to dodge the questions when me or SO bring up the topic.we are taking her to the doctor tomorrow and i want to be sure that suggesting the surgery is right.please no bashing.

ilovemylilymae

Asked by ilovemylilymae at 1:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• My sister had tubes in her ears when she was younger. They were the best thing that they could have done for her. She had an ear infection about every 3 weeks or so. After wards, she had one a year if that.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Both of my older boys had tubes in their ears. One had three sets and the other had two sets - they kept falling out but still retained fluid behind their ears. My oldest son is 12 now and still has fluid behind his ears a lot of the time, which causes a temporary hearing loss when it's present but it rarely gets infected anymore. If they inserted another pair of tubes, it would likely cause permanent hearing loss due to a buildup of scar tissue from that many repeated incisions.
    But the tubes definitely cut down on their number of ear infections and it was a relatively quick procedure. I was always surprised at how smoothly it always went.

Answer by missanc at 10:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2010