Do you think its the parents fault, if a underage teenager gets pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• To me it depends on the situation. The teen is ultimatly responsible but if the parents aren't around much and letting them do whatever they want its only natural they will look elseware for affection. If the parents are around and active in the childs life if they have talked to her about the consequences of sex whether shes on birth control or not it is her fault. Even though many are.. I do not see why a 15 or 16 yr old should be on birth control unless it is for medical reasons.

mstevens10

Answer by mstevens10 at 8:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• nope. a teenager has reached an age where they are pretty responsible for themselves
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• if you are letting them do what they want and have no clue what they are up to, and arent playing mom but you are playing friend yes! but if you are doing the oppisite doing everything possible to teach them right and they still manage to do things behind your back then no!
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• parents are the reason for every other problem they have with their child but not teen pregnancy...a parent can't make a teenager think..."oh thats cute i want one, i'll be so cool"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I don't think it is the parents whole fault, as a parent there is a time to be your child's friend and there is a time to be your child's parent and when it comes to "The Talk" you have to have that middle with your child/ren. A parent isn't with there child 24/7 and when my child is in that situation I want them to make the right decision. I am all for buying condoms for my child teens are gonna do things that we don't approve of and I want my child to be ready for whatever may happen.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Why do you think one person can totally absolutely control another? That stops at birth. A new parent can't control a tiny creature and keep it from crying and being hungry at all hours. How can a parent of a teenager who's brain is years more physically and intellectually developed than a newborn, control a teenager's chemically produced hormones that are affected by other teens lives of hormones and events for those teens?

Parents can't stop a 7 year old from wanting things and doing some things, teens are more mindset than young kids.

All we can do is know what's right and wrong for ourselves and kids and work hard to get and give safe, healthy lives. Oh and I have 3 kids and 1 teen and 2 are adults. None have had babies and none have been addicts or alcoholics.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• only if the parent facilitated the sexual act and did not provide protection.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 4:52 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• No, it's completely the fault of the stupid teen. At that age, with regard to sex, a person should know better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Often, not always. Parents who communicate openly with their kids, who don't let their embarassment stop them from providing their kids with information on sexuality, contraception, etc. are rarely to blame. Some kids just make bad choices.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I think it CAN be the parents fault by allowing your child to do as they please, by not knowing where your child is and by allowing the girlfriend/boyfriend sleep over in the same room as the child but I do not think it is always the parents fault.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2010