how do i start the potty training

my little one is doing the i dont want to use the potty. and when i put big girl underwear on her she tinkles a little and wants to be changed thing is i cant get her to go in the potty chair. we always miss and have an accident. how do i get her to go in the potty chair.should i put her on the chair every 15 minutes and sit with her or read to her while we wait and while we wait how long should i wait until we get up? i have to get her trained b4 she starts kindergarden so any help from u ladies i would be grateful .

FoxMulder1993

Asked by FoxMulder1993 at 3:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kindergarden? How old is she? You should have started potty training around 2 years old.

Answer by louise2 at 6:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• when my son was 2, he didn't want to use the potty. I got a short table and used the potty seat as a "chair". I put his favorite snacks and small toys on the table and let him sit there and watch TV. When he accidentally did something in the potty, I would reward him with an M-&-M. After a while he started getting the idea and wanted the reward!

At 4, nearly 5 years old (?), you may need to get a consult from your pediatrician . My Mom had me and my 4 siblings in real underwear before our second birthdays. These days potty training is done a little later, but not too much. Most kids start between 18-24 months, and are completely potty trained between the 2nd and 4th birthday. Few go past 4 years old without leaving the baby diapers behind unless they are developmentally delayed (my six year old is still in diapers and probably will be for a few more years, but she is DD)

Good Luck!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:18 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Oh yeah... is she going when you go? I took all my kids to the potty with me every time I needed to go. During the training days, I would ask about every thirty minutes to an hour if they wanted to try and I would sometimes give an M&M for just trying even if they weren't successful. When they were successful and used the potty, I loaded on the praise and "big kid" compliments.

I still think that at her age though, she probably needs to be checked by the doctor to see if there are underlying causes for her not to be potty trained yet.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2010