Abnormal PAP test, should I be worried?

My PAP test was abnormal and my doc wants to do a biopsy of my cervix, and i'm really scared.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• You REALLY should have the biopsies done. Why would you want to wait 6 MONTHS if you do have something going on? I had abnormal paps off and on for 9 years. I would have a biopsy done after each, and they would come back just mildly abnormal non cancerous. Then I would have a couple normal paps before another abnormal. Finally, they did an HPV test and it came back positive (even if you've only slept with 1 person, you can have HPV if they slept with ANYONE before you and its extremely common). So when I had another abnormal pap that came back slightly higer grade of dysplasia (still noncancerous) they did a cone biopsy to remove the top layer of cells off my cervix. That was almost 3 years ago, and I have NOT had any more abnormal paps. There are many things it could be other than cancer. The biopsy will let them see the "grade" of abnormality. It's important. But don't stress, it's probably nothing serious. Good luck!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I wouldnt frett untill you have the results back. No need to worry yourself when it could be nothing. I know easier said then done but just think positive. GL!
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 4:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I would not be too worried. abnormal paps happen and a lot of times turn out to be nothing.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:24 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• google cervical cancer and you'll probably find some support groups and more information.

What ever is going on it is important to get this done. You can get a second opinon before and after you have it done if you want to. You might have to pay yourself, but that's what I would do for piece of mind to understand the reasons and what happens if something's not right.

be strong focus on health that includes good health coming after sickness. Don't just focus on the sickness of your cervix. Think of good health that you can work for with doctors to have.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:24 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't worry until you have the results. I had an abnormal PAP and it was beta strep positive ( no not an std) Something about to much normal bacteria around the cervix. During delivery I had to have anti biotics so it didn't hurt the baby. I never had another bad PAP after that . Once the baby was born every thing went back to normal. So a bad PAP doesn't always mean the worse. GOOD LUCK, and don't worry until you have to.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I had an abnormal pap once and they did a closcopy (sp??) where they biopsied it as well....it came back fine. The doctor I saw for the pap told me that it can mean any magnitude of things. Generally there are different levels of abnormal as well....and that doctor toldme where I stood too.

Dont worry about it until you get the test results. As someone else pointed out, you cant do anything about it right now....just have the test done and go from there.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:43 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I have had a few abnormals but I have NEVER had a biopsy done. They are not needed after 1 abnormal pap test. It is normal to be abnormal from time to time. Most doctors will retest in 6 months and if you are still abnormal then will do a biopsy.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I too have had abnormal pap tests done. Both times they made me wait 6 months and go back in and have another one and they came back fine. You can get an abnormal if they mess up the test also. I would ask to wait then get a second one done. If that one is abnormal then get a biopsy done.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I had abnormal Paps every six months for four years, don't stress out about it. They can do a biopsy and if that comes back precancerous, they remove the cells. Nothing to panic about at this point!!
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It depends on how well you know your body. Sometimes it can be a bacterial infection that you may have thought was a yeast infection and you may have ignored the symptoms or felt nothing. If you have painful periods it could be cysts or something of that nature. If it is anything more serious than that, they should call you immediately for an appointment to come back. Good luck.
    NewJoyOn1308

Answer by NewJoyOn1308 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2010