My son is always sick :(

I don't know why but it seems I can't hardly get my son better and then BAM he is sick again. Usually starts out as a upper respitory junk and then gets worse. I do all the tricks I have been told to do by both moms and doctors and it seems I can't keep it from turning into bronchitis or pnuemonia. I feel so terrible for him especially seems how I am the mom and I am always trying to keep him healthy and I fail. :( I don't know why this keeps happening. He isnt around sick ppl so what could I possibly be doing wrong?! He is 14 months old almost 15 months now...any suggestions on how to keep him healthy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He might have allergies.  You are doing nothing wrong. Some times keeping your child away from things, stops their immune system from  being stronger.

Answer by louise2 at 6:50 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• our 19 mo has the same problem - a constant cold/runny nose/ respritory infection. When I worked, my sister watched him and ran him to the doc every time he sneezed - he ended up w/ enough anitibiotics in his system to cure cancer, but he still kept getting sick. I stopped working and stay home now, and I refuse to take him to the doctor for this latest cold.
    I make sure he eats well (or at least, if he just wants juice, he gets fruit and veggie juice), keep up on his nap schedule, and take him outside for fresh air and exercise when it's warm enough. he has the runny nose still, but is energetic, sleeping well, and has no fever. I'm trying to build up his immune system and so far it's working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• OP: Thank you Anon for you honest answer...I am and have been the same way about taking my son to the dr everytime he is sick. I will try to keep from taking him to the dr this time b/c like you said about your son and antibiotics is the same for mine. He is always taking some kind of antibiotic, which just might very well be the problem. And louise2 I really think he does have seasonal allergies I just hope it doesn't progress into anything else. Thank you momma's for sharing :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• my daughter went through a spell like that when it seemed like she was always sick. just make sure he is eating well and resting well..like anon said. and it will pass. good luck!
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 7:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I agree with another poster...your son likely suffers from allergies that are occurring year round--such as dust, mold, cleaning solutions, and even synthetic fabrics!

I HIGHLY recommend you have your pediatrician refer you to a an allergist who will perform a skin test (not a fun experience for young children, but it is very important!), and by the time you leave the allergists office, you will know EXACTLY what your son is or isn't allergic to, and how to make his home environment better for him.

Children CAN grow out of many environmental allergies, but their bodies need these allergens removed or significantly lowered for a while, so they can build up a strong immune system.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I think there is an immune deficiency syndrome you can have him tested for. Seasonal allergies are actually unlikely at 14 months... possible, but unlikely... the system takes awhile to build up reactions to those airborne allergens. This is per the allergist my daughter sees for her food allergies. I don't think you need a skin test unless you suspect one particular thing. But I would definitely talk with your doctor about your concerns, as s/he is in a better place to advise than all of us.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:34 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• A skin test is not necessary and is outdated. A RAST test can reveal a lot more information. It is done by a blood draw. They can test the blood for different antibodies that have built up in his system. They can even tell which he is sensitive to but not quite an allergy. Skin prick testing only shows a traditional allergic reaction.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:40 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I had the same w my oldest son. We live in a damp climate, though. But worked for me, which I know is probably not an option, is we ended up going up to Fairbanks, Alaska for my hubbys work. It was winter time and that cold dry air instead of the dampness helped so much. Even though we are back in Oregon now, his asthma and pneumonia spells have gone away. It was just a stroke of luck that we ended up going to AK.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 11:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Louise2, I feel for you with the problem with your little one. However, when my children were younger we used the Shaklee Products and changed our household products to "safe" cleaning products without toxins that are on the market. It made a big difference in their health. I always recommend this to those who have a problem with constant sickness. There are also a number of things to build up their immune system that has been torn down with the toxic chemicals in cleaning products. Hope this info is helpful and I will be glad to give you more information if you would like it. Good luck, Healthymel
    healthymel

Answer by healthymel at 11:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2010