Would you let your toddler drink coffee?

My Father has been of giving my 2-year-old a dab of Black of coffee off the tip of his finger but NOW my son loves coffee and every time I get a cup he screams for it lol.

PLEASE READ: I ONLY DRINK DECAF.

Would you let your 2-year-old take an occasional drink of black, decaf coffee? There's no sugar, creamer or other junk in it and coffee in itself isn't really unhealthy....but I still can't get my head around seeing a toddler with a coffee mug lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• What is it about grandpas and coffee? Both my husband and I used to dip toast in coffee with our grandpas. My husband's father is a big coffee drinker, so I have no doubts my daughter will be dipping toast with him in a few years. Which I'm perfectly okay with. Sometimes bonding time with Grandma and Grandpa is getting to do things you don't get to do at home and that's part of the fun. Since you drink only decaf, I really don't see a problem with giving him a little. Though if you don't want to maybe you can see if you can get him to understand that he only gets coffee with Grandpa or something like that?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• No.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Nope!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• personally, no, I wouldn't give in and let him have it.

If you don't want your two year old drinking coffee then put your foot down. I have a friend who's 20 month old does the same thing (pitches fits) and his Dad always gives in. I call it "the tail wagging the dog".

Good Luck in breaking the habit now, if that is the battle you chose to fight. Chose your battles well, but don’t back down jst to please him and stop his temper tantrums. Now is the time to start asserting yourself and letting that toddler know who makes the rules. If you wait until he is older, it will be SO much harder and he will do his best to push you around every chance he gets!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:05 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• No
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:05 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Well, it is decaf, so I don't really see the problem, but I probably wouldn't.
    I let my child taste my coffee when she was young, too. She did like it, but I wouldn't give her any more than a taste every once in a while. I just ignored her nagging. She gave up eventually.
    Now that she's a little older, I can explain to her that she can't have coffee until she's a grown up because it could slow her growth...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• OP: I didn't mention that while I occasionally do let him have a sip I DON"T actually GIVE him coffee lol. He doesn't throw royal tantrums for it he just begs and says "mmm coffee". I Don't think a 2-year-old should be drinking it, decaf or not. I was curious what other moms would do (that's why I posted in "Just for fun").

I just think he's weird for wanting to drink it, black anyway, it tastes horrid!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• coffee isn't as bad as soda and I see tons of really little kids sucking down the soda! (not mine though!)

My son wants something worse! He got a taste of beer at a friend's house (no one gave it to him, he picked it up from a low table and drank it) Now if we go anywhere that open bottles of beer are being drank, I have to watch him so close! Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that at home since I don't drink.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Oh wow! Christina just brought back a memory for me!! When I was little I used to dip cookies in my grandma's coffee!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My mom gives my 3 year a sip of decaf here and there, it's just a sip so I really don't see what the big deal is. I get more upset where she gives her sips of pepsi.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2010