Why do the courts protect the guilty....and not the innocent?

Yes, this is pretty much rhetorical. But honestly...No one can help me, or even give me info and I'M not the one doing anything wrong. Apparently it doesnt matter that I had a PFA against my ex 3 yrs ago...it's is 100% okay for him to move in within stalking distance. To provide daily fear to me, to make it so I can't even take my child into our own backyard to play, all because he hasnt "ACTUALLY" done anything yet. Well goody freaking gumdrops. Let's wait til that happens, then maybe they can reanimate my corpse and protect it. I just don't understand. YES. I get it, he 'has rights' too. But ya know what...while I may not live in a large town, there are certainly MANY other places to live, and other towns to live in, that don't involve being RIGHT across the freaking street from me. But oh, let's just say it's okay, because he hasn't done anything....bastards.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Unfortunately this is how the system works, and beleive it or not it s one of the best systems out there. This is why restraining orders don't usually work, and many times the innocent become the victims.

Answer by older at 9:16 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Protection orders are just pieces of paper, they don't stop bullets or knives, and they basically just provide the authorities with the most likely suspect when you turn up dead. Sorry, but that's the way it works. Police can't provide everyone with a 24/7 bodyguard, therefore if you are in danger, you're SOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• That totally sucks!! I have been lucky (knocks on wood) haven't seen my abuser since my restraining order was approved 3 years ago. I would freak if he popped up across the street!!!

I wish I knew some way to fix it for you…
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I am so sorry for you because I totally understand. The system sucks as far as those restraining orders go. I never could get one. I just gave up and left the state. I think it sucks, and I feel just like you. Does he have to kill me before they do something? The sheer terrorism that he is causing should be enough. If you have grounds to be scared, then that should be enough. Too many women are found dead every year because of psycho ex's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Because there is more money to be made by greedy lawyers to prove someone's innocence. The harder the work, the more the pay..  Follow the money...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• When seconds count the cops are only minutes away. Buy a gun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It sucks, but honestly, I would get the hell out. Your life and the life of your child are so much more important than any job or attachment to a town or state. Pack as much as you can in the car and drive. Get out of the state. Move across the country. That's just my opinion.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Grlygrlz2 said it. I do have some advice, unfortunately, it would get me in trouble, so use your imagination. But do take some self defense classes. Have a pen everywhere you are. A pen can stab. Use pressure points, go for eyes, throat, anything he needs in order to get at you. Do NOT go after his groin. That only pisses them off. These things you learn in the self defense classes. But if you have something like a pen, or a chop stick, everywhere you are, you have something you can use to defend yourself. They don't look like weapons, so he wouldn't expect anything coming.
    Again, take classes. And practice, practice, practice. You have to be confident that you can defend yourself, and your child.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• grly, Because there is more money to be made by greedy lawyers to prove someone's innocence. The harder the work, the more the pay.. Follow the money...

Everyone in this country deserves representation, guilty or not, it is the way this system works. Lawyers get a bad wrap, they are not all greedy some really care, and it is a job like any other. Generalizing puts others who work for their money in a bad light.

Answer by older at 11:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2010