What in the way you were brought up has influenced the way you are going to bring up your children?

From discipline or lack thereof, to family situations....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My mom lived for our family, she was a stay at home mom and she was ALWAYS there for us. All of my friends always came to my house for a home-cooked meal and a little family time because she created such a loving atmosphere in our house. I want to have that kind of environment for our boys.

After I moved out when I was 18, my mom called me over to help her clean out her closet and go shopping for some new up-to-date clothes. It was only then that I realized that while WE always had nice things, her clothes were the same ones she's been wearing when I was a toddler!! How could I not have noticed that before then? THAT'S the kind of mom I want to be.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:20 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I learned to do the opposite in many instances from what I experienced as a child. My mom was and is a very selfish woman putting her wants ahead of us girls.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• So much of it, I am raising my daughter in church whereas I was not. Also it is a different denomination, but just about everything else. Especially the old ways of having manners and respect for adults.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My parents where my rock always there for whatever I needed, and this is how I raised my own. The taught me kindness, and self respect and that family was always number one, and that when all others turned their back family would always be there. I have done the same. It worked out well, my three grown kids are my pride and joy, and not a day goes by that I do not express my love for them.

Answer by older at 9:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• To be open, approachable, human, and kind like my dad, and to not use corporal punishment unless absolutely necessary, the opposit eof my mother. I also learned that yelling doesn't help anything.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 9:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My parents were very very prejudiced to people outside of our race, from them I learned not to be that.

My parents were extremely controlling and still are, I learned to be controlling of my young kids and teens in most situations but not all.

My parents didn't, wouldn't listen to me and still don't. I learned from them to allow my kids their feelings but to say that though they're sad, mad about whatever the proper way morally, socially to do what ever is to do abc in spite of their feelings.

My 3 are now 2 adults and 1 teen. I'm excited I'm honored that fate, God my kids has blessed me to have past times and, healthy the world willing, future times with my kids good and bad times. I always love my kids they know, sometimes they also know I love them more at certain times than at other times.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Everything lfl has learned and changed. All that. We must have the same parents. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Everything about my childhood has influenced the way I am raising my children...
    My mother wasn't around much when I was younger, I always said my children would have their mommy; and they do. I am not saying I'm the best mother, but my babies wake up every morning to mommy (unless ds is at Granny's house for the weekend) and my ds goes to bed every night with a story, our nightly devotion, being tucked in, kisses, i love yous, etc.
    My father had a pain-pill habit. That has made me work harder towards keeping my kids safe, and teaching them the scares of drugs (this will come later of course as they're only 3yo and 3mo). I was took fishing, which had a huge impact on my life. That time with my dad was like no other. I believe in cherishing each and every moment, and when I'm having a bad day, I remind myself that this could be my last day alive. That always helps a lot.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Telling my kid I love her and talking openly and honestly about everything is important to me. I feel my daughter and I are very close. My own mother would never say "I love you" or want to talk. She pretty much just put food on the table but never let us know she cared about anything. She never asked about our lives or how things were going. Maybe she just had too many kids to put in any real effort.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:18 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My mom always lectured me and I felt that we never really had a conversation but just rather her "talking to" me. She always said "you cant do this" which of course made me want to do it more. I hope to be more open with my son
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2010