Is prilosec safe to take while breastfeeding?

My OB/Gyn said it was fine, but the pediatrician said to pump and dump for the 2 weeks I'm on it. I supplemented with formula (similac sensitive) yesterday and my son got an upset stomach. Any advice?

Asked by MissyKrissy928 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call your doctor again, but I have severe heartburn issues and took it while I breastfed! I think that is why my son never spit up, lol,,,I looked on line (5 years) ago and there was no warning about this at all! I would say yes, but call one more time to be sure!

Answer by kimigogo at 10:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Dr. Hale and the National Institute of Health say Prilosec is perfectly safe. You could take other drugs too. Cimetidine, Famotidine, Nizatidine, Pantoprazole, Ranitidine, Sucralfate are all safe

Are you sure you're not having a hernia problem after your birth or is this something old? I had a hernia and it led to me having horrid heartburn for an entire YEAR. It finally has gone away after a YEAR but it stuck around. I took OTC Famotidine (acid controller) every other day and it worked AWESOME and is totally safe for breast feeding..

Never just trust doctors on what the safety of a medication for breast feeding is. They use their PDR and the PDR is outdated because drug companies mislead. They need to ask Dr. Hale or look at LACTmed

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I breastfeed and take prilosec. It is safe.

Answer by Marix3 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You can take prilosec. Sadly most doctors know nothing about meds and mother's milk.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Prilosec, and all other medications in that family, such as Nexium, Prevacid, and Aciphex are perfectly safe. May I ask why you are only taking this for two weeks? It's generally a long term medication.

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2010