Anyone out there have osteoporosis?

I'm 54 and just been diagnosed with it. I'm frantic! I've always tried to watch my wieght, am anti-drugs (don't like taking any type of medication if I don't need to) but osteoprosis runs in my family and now I've got it...Please send me any comments or suggestions...thanks

girlygrandma

Asked by girlygrandma at 10:33 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• Yes---I was diagnosed last year and I was shocked. I am 68. I have always eaten well---I take Calcium and magnesium, I go to Yoga classes and walk all the time. I was not prepared for that!!! So I am taking Boniva.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I don't have it......YET!  I am at great risk though.  My mother and maternal aunt have it and I'm very small boned, so I've been preparing for years.  I had a bone density test done when I was 34, then I started taking calcium when I developed an intolerance to milk but I'm slowly re-introducing it back into my diet.  I'll never stop taking calcium though.  Actually I'm 46 now, and had a hysterectomy 8 years ago so I should talk to my doctor about having another bone density scan.  Thanks for the reminder:)

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I'm a couple decades from REALLY having to worry about it but I'm at risk due to family history. My midwife told me to take a calcium/vit D/magnesium/phosorous supplement (she recommended the Village Health brand). Also, my grandmother who has it the worst told me once that weight bearing exercise helps maintain good bone health. My grandma is well known in the city she lives in - she's the lady in her 90's who lifts free weights at the YMCA four days a week, surrounded by young guys in their twenties. She's even been written up in the local paper. She's fearles, lol.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 6:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You can still stop the progression of the disease by exercise and proper diet. There are also calcium supplements that could help but should be taken together with vitamin D. Ask your doctor about it. Several who have osteoporosis have had a hip replacement to replace the diseased joint for better movement.

CatRus09

Answer by CatRus09 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2012