Have you ever got a headache from a massage?

I would like to get a massage, but the website says a possible side effect is a headache.But is it only if you dont drink enough water?

momtotwinsand1

Asked by momtotwinsand1 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Beauty & Style

Level 1 (-10 Credits)
  • I used to get headaches after the chiropractor cracked my neck. I never heard of a massage giving you a headache.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I am a massage therapist and yes, a headache can be a side affect. The deeper the massage, the more chances for some pain afterward. Not drinking water will almost guarantee a headache, but it also could be from the muscle manipulation. Schedule your massage when you can go home and lay down if you need to. In the long run even if you have a side affect, massage is a wonderful tool for helping to feel better.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Thank you I really want to get one my stress load is huge right now, But I have migraines alot so don't really want to get a headache if I don't have too.
    momtotwinsand1

Answer by momtotwinsand1 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yes, you can get a headache from a massage if you don't drink plenty of water afterwards. The thing is that you're having a ton of toxins released from your muscles. You need some way to flush them out, and that's where the water comes in. If you don't, you end up with those toxins that kept your muscles tight settling back into your system. That's where the headache comes from.

I've had a couple very deep massages and never got a headache, but I also drank a couple quarts of water during the remainder of those days. And this may be TMI, but I really did have a lot of toxins in my body, because it took until the next day with still drinking plenty of water for my urine not to be dark yellow!
    Anonymous