Who waits untill kendergarten to START potty training?

Just wondering since there is one Q asking how to start, and several asking how to teach 4-5 year olds how to poop on the potty.

My kids were all out of diapers between 2-3 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Of course there are exceptions for kids with special needs... But I have heard a woman on here touting her daughter's extreme intelligence, offering the fact that she pooped herself and sat in in whilst reading her own books at age 4 as proof of her super-developed brain. Puh-lease. Smart kids and dumb kids and black kids and white kids and tall kids and short kids can learn how to use the potty before they're 4 years old. Special needs and circumstances aside. I agree with anon05 -- people have taken this child-led approach too far. Potty training is no different from any other skill, and is not going to cause severe damage to the psyche if not handled with the most delicate of gloves. IMO, parents just want everything to be super-easy and convenient. And would sooner see disposable diapers piling up in the landfills than have to clean up a little pee off the floor as their happy little 20 month-old learned the potty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Kindergarten
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I don't think they waited that long,the kids are just resistant. Also,they may be special needs. My son wasn't fully trained til last May when he was 8
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I agree with you. That's the problem with waiting for this whole big list of "readiness" signs and with being so afraid of "pushing" a child to potty train. Kids can learn much earlier than people tend to teach them today... My first trained at 19 months, and my now-18 month old just woke up dry in the morning and has had 3 straight days of no accidents with her initiating the potty trips each time, including asking to go while we were on a long car ride. Starting early and staying consistent yields much better results, in my opinion (and experience). And an added benefit of early training -- kids usually start pooping on the potty before they pee on it! None of this stool refusal so common with 3 and 4 year-olds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Well, my son has high functioning autism and he didn't train until he was 6.5 years old, exactly two weeks before the start of first grade. I was thrilled...lol....no more icky cloth diapers to wash. I would've loved for him to have been trained sooner, but he just wasn't physically capable of doing so because of his delays. Technically, you could say he trained "on time", because from a developmental perspective, he's always been about 3-4 years behind his peers, which means that, developmentally, he was about 3-4 years old when he finally did train and that would be "on time".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yeah someone is a little behind on the potty training... Children are supposed to be trained to use the potty between the ages of 2 and 3. Sometimes maybe even earlier than that. The only excuse for any child still using the bathroom on themselves at the age of 4 and 5 is a premature child. I have a premature son that just got it down and he is 4.
    vajayjay

Answer by vajayjay at 4:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2010