Is the Middle/high school locker room worse now?

My daughter goes to middle school next year and I was telling her about having to change clothes in front of all the other kids and what ever teachers are in there at any given time. She is neither shy, nor is she fat. But she is not thrilled with the idea of getting named in front of all her class mates. She also said that she now understands why kids have the “naked at school” dream.

I started thinking about the fact that a huge number of kids are morbidly obese before they even get to middle school. So… is the school locker room worse than it was 20 years ago? Are the fat kids picked on?

I dread this for my daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've only been out of HS for 5 years. I never wanted to get naked in front of the other girls, so if I had to change, I just slipped into one of the little shower stalls. Which DID have curtains... btw.

It wasn't so bad. My little brother, 17 and a junior in HS, LOVES the locker room... LOL, he and his buddies pull pranks on eachother and snap eachother with towels to see who can get the biggest whelt on their hind.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Kids are evil at this age. Everyone gets branded somehow,sometime.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I hate to think of what the locker rooms are like now. I don't think there were any problems when mykids were in school. And when I was in school, in the 1950's, I was very shy and refused to take showers ...but I was thin and flat chested.LOL. I don't think there were maybe two girls out of our whole P.E. class (of about 40 teens) who were fat or even chubby. In the 1950's, people ate healthier and spent lots of time outside. No video games. LOL.
    I hope the girls aren't mean...but nowdays it seems "being nice" is out of style. Good luck....
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I'd go to the school and ask to see the locker room. In my middle school/high school we had private cubicles so were never naked in front of anyone. My first year there I had PE the first period and I wore my gym suit under my clothes to school. We were not forced to take showers and most days didn't break a sweat and need one anyway so we were never forced to be naked anyway. Don't freak out until you see the locker room and talk to the PE teacher. Do it now before she even gets to the school. Call the PE teacher and set up a tour date.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• No clue. I never had a locker room until high school and we just wore our gym uniforms under our school uniforms for the most part (if we could get away with it). The most naked I ever got was taking off my school shirt to put on my gym shirt. We didn't take showers (not enough time). No one ever got made fun of because everyone was too busy freaking out about themselves and trying to hurry and change.
    In junior high there were no locker rooms. We changed in a classroom (now the kids wear their gym uniforms to school on gym day). Gym was usually left as the last class for the junior high kids so they wouldn't be sitting in class all sweaty and gross, lol.
    Of course, I've never attended a public school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2010