potty training and night time

DD's doing great with potty training and is keeping her underwear dry all day, including nights, and asking to go potty when she needs to go... but I'm wondering what to do about nights.She wakes up dry some mornings sleeping 11 hours straight, and some nights she even wakes up and asks to go. Has anyone had the experience of switching to underwear at night before their kids were waking up consistently with a dry pull-up? I'm not sure whether a few accidents will help her stop wetting in the night (or start asking to wake up more consistently), or if it will just be extra clean-up with no benefit. The other reason I'm asking is that with her big sister, we have kept a pull-up on her at night for the past 14 months since she day trained, and she STILL wakes up soaked (heavy sleeper). So I'm not sure whether a more active approach to night training would yield better results? What do you think?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 11:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You know, I hear that it works, as long as you are not punishing about it, and willing to quickly jump up and help a wet child. My just turned 3 year old isn't night trained, and I haven't decided how to approach it wet. Her pediatrician said that she doesn't worry until after 4, and even then plenty of kids still wet the bed occasionally. So I don't know. I am going to try it soon, but with a time limit. Mine is an extremely deep sleeper like her dad.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• We had that problem with our daughter for a little while until my mother-in-law pointed out the fact that she didn't do it ever at her house. Instead of having to wake up with a soaked child we just don't give her anything to drink about an hour before she goes to bed. She hasn't had a single accident in 6 months.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 11:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2010